Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Jax couldn’t figure out why the thought of Chloe leaving town bothered him. He thought once the truth was out she’d lean on him and the club for support but she still wanted to tackle the world alone. It wasn’t safe, of that he was sure. Luke was a sadistic son of a bitch and he wasn’t letting go of Chloe until someone’s death was met.  Jax was going to make sure if was Luke who suffered next.

They rode from the cabin back to the clubhouse that morning after he caught a few hours of sleep in the living room, he had given her the bedroom. He couldn’t get her words out of his head, what she admitted and what her future plans were. She wanted out of Charming and out of Clay’s life.

Chloe firmly believed Clay felt nothing for her, saw her as some mistake that came and bit him in the ass twenty three years later. Jax wasn’t so sure. Clay believed in family and it was easier to forget someone when you didn’t know them but now Clay knew his daughter and if he knew she was in trouble he’d help. Jax believed that.

Now as he rode through town with her at his back he still couldn’t shake his thoughts. Everything was a mess lately and he didn’t know what to do anymore, what was right from wrong. Abel would be coming home soon, the ATF was breathing down the club’s neck, Tara was still worried Kohn could return, and now Chloe was in some pretty serious danger.

He sighed as they pulled into the garage. “What are you going to tell him?” he asked Chloe as she got off the bike first.

She adjusted her shirt and shrugged her shoulders. “I don’t want anyone knowing everything; I told you that in confidence. I only came back because I don’t put it past Luke making trouble for SAMCRO to get to me. I want to warn Clay that’s it.”

Jax didn’t say anything, he didn’t know how to express he was unhappy with her plans without being forced to admit he was starting to care too much for her. “Come on.” He led her through the clubhouse where Clay and the others were waiting for them. He had called that morning telling Clay to set up a meeting. 

“Ooh, I get to go behind the big doors.” Chloe joked as he led her to the SOA chapel.

Jax suspected she was joking because she was nervous but he wasn’t going to call her on it, after the emotional turmoil she went through last night she could make some bad jokes to hide her fears.

He stepped into and locked eyes with Clay. “There’s some shit you need to know.” He turned behind him and saw Chloe was trying to edge her way farther from the doors. He took her hand and pulled her inside. “You’re up.”

Chloe narrowed her eyes at Jax. “You can be a real pain in the ass.”

“Yup.” Tig agreed. “What’s going on doll face?” he asked, everyone knew this meeting had something to do with her.

Chloe sighed and jumped into it, not bothering to sit or look at anyone around the table; she kept her eyes down on her shoes. “The reason I came here to Charming was some shady shit with one of the guys I worked with on Sal’s crew and the betrayal Sal dished at me. None of them were pleased with my decision to leave and they want me to go back and it’s not for nothing good. Luke, the prick I’m hiding from, he’s here in town and I don’t put it past him to make some trouble for this club in hopes you’ll give me up.”

“Well that’s not happening. He can try all he wants but we don’t rat, a little trouble never hurt nobody.” Clay said and the guys all agreed with him by murmuring different agreements.

Chloe looked up, her eyes wide as she looked at the group in front of her. “Seriously?” she didn’t like the surge of emotion filling her system or the hopes and wants that came along with it.

“Yeah, seriously.” Jax said, seated to Clay’s right. “We all know if you go back it’s to die and none of us want that.”

“Yeah,” Bobby said. “It’s the least we can do since you cleaned that shit hole of a club house.”

Jax kept his intense blue eyes glued to Chloe. “You gotta tell him the rest. He just earned it.” he knew she couldn’t reveal everything, she needed time but the life growing inside of her, that couldn’t stay a secret anymore.

It was Clay’s turn to look at her now, he instantly picked up she was hiding something else. “What is it?”

Chloe dropped her eyes back to the floor then back up to the ceiling, the tears started to fall. “Um….” She glanced around and saw each of them were looking at her with concern, they wanted to help her. She had always wanted to belong and for that moment she did. “I hate to break it to you Clay but you’re gonna be a grandfather. I’m knocked up.” it was easier to make light of it, to crake some sort of joke to ease the seriousness of it all.

Judging by Clay’s wide-eyed expression Gemma hadn’t told him anything. “How?” he was shocked.

“Well I’m sure you know how a woman gets pregnant, I mean I’m alive so---”

“Knock it off smart ass.” Clay sounded like a father.

She laughed. “What, you’ll ground me? I admit I’m getting a kick out of this, I needed a laugh.” She looked around the table, Juice was trying to keep his face straight while the others chuckled and Jax smiled at her. It was definitely his fault she felt awkward out of her mind, she hadn’t planned to tell Clay about the baby and Jax masterfully put her on the spot. “I made a mistake like a lot of girls and I’m about four months now.”

Clay paled, running his hand across his beard as guilt settled into his features. “That beating you took?”

“I got banged up but everything is fine, Jax’s girl checked me out.”

Piney spoke next, his gruffly voice breaking the silence. “And the father? He the piece of shit trying to kill you?”

“Bingo. Yeah there’s some stuff in the middle but I’m not ready to talk about it. I have plans to leave town but Jax wanted me to talk to you all and warn you about what could happen.”

“No.” Clay spoke. “You’re staying right here until this is all figured out. Don’t even think about arguing or telling me you have it covered. That was a good idea earlier, you are grounded here at the clubhouse and you don’t move until the problem is handled.”