Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Chloe was relieved when they arrived because she no longer had to be holding onto Jax, being close to him made her uncomfortable in an awkward sexual way she wasn’t use to. There was something about him that oozed sex without even trying.

 Her day went from bad, better to bad all over again when Clay called her and Jax into the office.

Clay sat down. “You wanted to talk.” He reminded her.

“Why does Jax have to be here?”

“As my VP I like him informed especially if I’m crazy enough to let you work for me.”

“Gee thanks Dad.” Chloe took a seat as well. “You didn’t raise me and you don’t know me so let’s throw all that crap out the window and you think like the smart business man you are. There’s nothing your guys can do that I can’t.”

“That’s some pretty big talk.” Clay said.

“Then put it to the test.”

“You’re twenty-three how the hell are you involved in any of this? Your mother hated anything illegal or outlaw.” Clay pointed out.

“Yeah but she had a specific type and when she died he took me under his wing. Did you even wonder what happened to me or how I was surviving on my own when you visited that last time? I was thirteen when she died.” The memories were as harsh as they were real. She tightened her hands beneath the table as a roaring anger surrounded her.

Clay’s own anger started to surface. “Who was the guy?”

Chloe scoffed, he only heard what he wanted to hear and the hell with the rest. “Sal Barron.” She took pride in saying, he had been the closest thing to a father she had until her life went to hell and she ended up in Charming.

Clay thought about it before Jax helped his memory along. “He’s mob.”

“Yeah.” Chloe said sarcastically. “And as you know that’s heavier then any rival in this town. Mom went from danger to dangerous but at least Sal loved her.”

“What kind of shithead takes a thirteen year old girl in and shows her…what?” Clay demanded.

“Guns, breaking and entering, cons, import/export and how to fight on the weekend for when guys got handsy. Sal use to say no one would suspect a little girl; I carried out a lot of jobs for him.” Chloe explained, remembering how long she followed Sal’s law.

“Did that bastard ever touch you because I swear--?”

“No it wasn’t like that but I needed something different and I left. Sal understood that and accepted it. Now I’m here so what do you say?”

“Things are different here our rivals would laugh and think we’re weak working with a woman.” Clay explained.

“They wouldn’t have to know and that’s the beauty of it. Think of it as a secret weapon and with all the Fed heat on you right now you need someone to get the job done that isn’t being watched.”

“Let me talk to Jax alone.” Clay requested, giving away nothing about what he thought.

“I’ll be in my room.”

Jax sat in her seat once she was gone. “This is crazy.”

“You don’t like it?” Clay asked, weighing the pros and cons in his own mind.

“No I don’t.” Jax said tightly. “It’s an unnecessary risk and with all the shit going on we don’t need it.”

“She had a point, no one would suspect her and the heat is set high right now. We just lost a shit load of money on those AK’s and everyone is sketchy right now. We need to show them we’re still strong and the ATF ain’t got nothing. Cash is a major problem now and I hate to say it but another perspective right now might not be a bad thing.” Clay voiced as the wheels in his head kept turning and turning.

“She’s your daughter.”

“She’s a tough kid and when this is over she’s out. I have a job lined up I think she’ll be good for but I want you to go with her.”

IIII

Chloe laid back on her bed, staring up at the dirty cleaning. The whole place could’ve used a fresh coat of paint. The meeting with Clay hadn’t been that bad, at least again he didn’t say no. Working as a bartender would be fine but her blood called for some action. Strangely enough she was almost back where she started; working at a restaurant as a cover for the real job. She wanted to forget her time on Barron’s crew but it had defined who she was, everyday something would take her back to a memory.

She sat up as the room door opened, Jax stepped inside. “Thanks for knocking.” She said flatly.

“You got your wish Clay has a job he wants you on. It’s going down next Friday.”

“Ok. Is there something you want to say?” she watched him and noticed he wouldn’t look at her and he was much more tense then before. “Just say it.”

“I think this is a bad idea.”

“No offense but I don’t really care. Whatever Clay wants will be a walk in the park compared to my last few jobs. Reserve your judgment until after you’ve seen my work.”

“I didn’t say you didn’t know what you were doing.”

“What are you saying?”

“Nothing.” Jax turned around and left her room.

Chloe laid back again. “He is seriously confusing.”