Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Bullets were flying from every angle, before Chloe knew what hit her Jax pushed her to the ground. Her heart jumped when she saw his arm, he was shot. She realized he jumped so she wouldn’t be hurt. “Why the hell did you do that?” They were kneeled down behind the counter, she grew angry. “It goes both ways Teller. I don’t want your death on my hands.”

“You’re welcome.”

If he hadn’t been bleeding she would’ve punched him. “Give me that.” Chloe grabbed the gun from his hands. Two men worked their way inside searching for their target, shooting anything in the way. It was a blood bath, where were Tig and Clay? With one in clear view she shot and ducked. His body hit the floor and a ray of shots came their way. “This can’t be happening.” She said to herself. Chloe didn’t want to put the baby in any more danger, now they were in the middle of a shootout.

Another round of shots went off. A beat of silence before Clay called out. “Hey, Jax, Chloe?”

She stood. “We need an ambulance. Jax took one in the arm.” Chloe thought it was stupid of him but she couldn’t be reckless anymore. “Thanks.” She said for the sake of the baby.

Andrew rose from where he was hiding and saw the horrible damage. His shoulders slumped. Chloe walked over to Clay. “You have to help him with this, at least a few grand.”

“I’ll see what we can pull together.” Clay walked away as the cops started to show up.

She joined Jax at the table he sat waiting, looking closely at his arm. “It’s not bleeding too badly. That’s good you didn’t hit any arteries. You’re lucky.”

“I sure feel lucky.”

“That’s what happens when you jump in front of bullets. I’m sorry I really am.” Chloe leaned into the table. “Who wants Clay dead?”

“Look at the timing, who do you think?”

“Shit. I guess you guys are suspect number one.” the picture was becoming too clear. “They’ll try again.” Chloe traded one set of danger in for another, but she still preferred the new kind. “The cavalry has arrived.” The paramedic bandaged Jax up but still wanted him to go to the hospital for proper care. “Payback is a bitch, lets go.” she didn’t give him a chance to say no and rode with them to the hospital.

Tara heard about the shooting, she was waiting when Jax arrived. “Oh thank god you’re ok.” She said, the paramedics leaving him in her care. She looked at Chloe.

“Oh I just tagged along. I’m fine.” Chloe said, the silent question passing between them about the health of the baby. She was relieved she chose to share her secret with Tara; so far it was working out well. “I’m going to leave you two alone. I’ll be wandering around.” she walked away because it was the right thing to do, not because she wanted to.

Chloe ended up at the maternity ward. Rows of babies sleeping or crying, a few fathers on the other side were taking pictures. She laid her hand over her stomach. “You’re never going to have that kid but trust me you’re better off. It’s going to be just you and me.” she hung around for ten more minutes before walking away. Back in the ER she saw Gemma come rushing though the doors.

“Where is he?” Gemma demanded.

“Tara’s with him, it wasn’t more serious then a patch up job. Want me to show you where he is?” At Gemma’s frantic nod she started walking. Gemma was the picture of a worried woman, in that moment she didn’t look like the hard ass she put first daily, she was a worried mother.

She ran into the exam room. “You scared the shit out of me.” Gemma said as she hugged Jax.

“I’m fine.” Jax insisted when his mother wouldn’t let go.

“You better be.” Gemma couldn’t live with losing another child. “Is he ready to go?” she asked Tara, hints of her dislike for the woman showing in her voice.

“Yeah but there’s some paperwork---”

“I’ll handle it. The faster we can leave here the better, finish getting ready.” Gemma said to Jax before following Tara out to the nurses’ station.

“She’s not going to let you out of her sight. Don’t be stupid and tell her you got shot trying to be a hero.” It wasn’t until then she looked at him and saw he had no shirt on.

As he reached for the shirt she saw his back, the SOA tattoo. Interested and fascinated by the artwork she moved closer. “Those are great lines.” She touched her fingertips to his back, at her touch Jax looked up into her eyes, laying his hand along her cheek and pulled her closer. Their lips barely touched when she pulled away. “You probably hit your head when you fell.”

“Yeah that must be it.” Jax said tightly, angry with the rejection. He grabbed his t-shirt and tried to pull it on with one good arm.

“Here.” Chloe helped him, realizing that less then a day later the positions were reversed but the situations were eerily the same. “I should probably be going.”

“You need a ride back to the club.”

“That’s not what I meant. I’ve been imposing long enough. With the money Clay gave me for the job I can stay in a motel and work for Andrew until I have enough to move on to the next place. Maybe in a month or so.” Chloe explained. The ideas had hit her when she was watching the babies. She needed to keep moving, keep in mind what was important.

“No.” Jax said quickly. “The motels here suck.”

“That’s your excuse? If I didn’t know better it sounds like you’d want me to stay. This is better, I’ll tell Clay I’ll be gone in a few days.” Chloe walked out of the room to wait outside. There she let herself feel, what the hell just happened? He was going to kiss her and that wasn’t good, why would he want to? This wasn’t part of the plan, especially three months pregnant. It was just like her bad luck to have someone interested at all the wrong times.

Gemma came storming out of the hospital minutes later. “I’ve never done serious jail time before but I’m about to. I’m not going to let that little bitch try and pull you from the family again. Don’t make me go to prison Jax.” She kept walking without giving him a chance to respond.

Chloe, not wanting to be caught in that conversation followed after Gemma before Jax tried to say anything.