Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Chloe finally managed to get Jax out of her room, alone she cried. It bothered her to hear him say everything was a lie. It wasn’t, she just didn’t trust herself to say everything, it wasn’t him. That was the problem with developing feelings for someone; when they saw the real you it hurt a hell of a lot.

It was all the more reason why she had to leave, now not in a month. Charming was becoming too personal. With nothing to be done that night Chloe laid back, kicking off her shoes. That night; truths hitting too close to home, nightmares couldn’t be avoided.

Sal?” Chloe couldn’t believe what she was hearing, how could she have been so wrong?

I won’t get involved. Whatever happened between you and Luke is for you to figure out.” Sal expressed again, shrugging as he grew tired of the conversation.

Tears stung her eyes. “What happened? That’s what we’re calling it?” the betrayal surrounded her throat and wouldn’t let go. She ran out of his office and as bad luck would have it she ran into him.

Chloe.” Luke held onto her forearms. “What are you doing coming out of Sal’s office?” He asked tightly.

Don’t worry, he doesn’t fucking care.” She tried to pull away, the emotions of betrayal and anger quickly turning into fear.

His grip tightened. “What did you say?”

She tried again to get away from him. “Let me go.”

His eyes turned dark. “I don’t think so.”

Jax tried to shake Chloe awake as she cried out in her sleep. “Wake up Chloe!”

She sat up startled and jumped back when she felt hands on her shoulders. “I’m fine.” She said slowly, her body betraying her as she shook from the memories of the past.

“You’re a better liar than that.”

“Jax, please.” She sighed, running a shaking hand through her hair. She looked up to find he was watching her with intense eyes. “I’ve done a lot of bad things in this life. Nightmares come up.”

Jax smiled, tight lipped. “That’s a better lie.” He left her room, he didn’t want to play their game where he’d ask a question and she’d lie or dodge the question.

Chloe laid back down. “I’m sorry Jax.” She whispered, realizing he’d probably never understand she wished it was different. She couldn’t bare her soul to him, it’d change too much.

She went out of her way that morning to avoid everyone. She waited in her room after packing until the house cleared out. Except there was one that wasn’t letting her walk away that easily. They stood in the clubhouse living room. “Hi Gemma.” Chloe said reluctantly.

“Where are you headed?” Gemma nodded to the duffle bags.

Chloe shrugged, avoiding the other woman’s eyes. “It’s time to get out of here.” she made it sound as if the choice had been easy, maybe routine. In reality the decision was killing her.

“Have you told him?”

“I’m on my way to talk to Clay.” She had to tell him she couldn’t take the job, she couldn’t kill again.

“And Jax?” Gemma asked, still trying to figure out how she felt about Chloe and then Chloe in Jax’s life. She was Clay’s daughter; a fact that couldn’t be ignored.

She shrugged again. “There’s nothing to say. His hands are pretty full without me bugging him.”

Gemma began to see something familiar in the girl. “You want to do the right thing even if it hurts you.”

Tears threatened to fall. “I have to do what’s right for my kid.” She admitted softly, it was a fact, a need that trumped all others.

Gemma’s cool questioning attitude slipped away. “What?” she sounded shocked and very confused.

“I’m pregnant, I didn’t want anyone to know but that went out the window. I have to go before the shit hits the fan.” Chloe moved closer to the door as her emotions bested her, the fears running free and the regrets close to the surface. “I didn’t mean to cause any trouble, can you tell Clay that?”

“Wait a minute.” Gemma laid her hand on the door. “I can understand doing whatever it takes for your family but I’m getting the feeling you’re running around half-cocked. What’s the deal?” she stared at the young girl’s face, waiting with no response. “Is it a guy?”

Chloe scoffed then chuckled. “It always is, isn’t it? Yeah my crazy ex wants to kill me. I’m going to pick up my check then I’m out of here.” Gemma didn’t try and stop her that time. She tossed her bag into the car. She’d leave it at the bus station and one of the guys could pick it up. Driving to Taylor’s she knew she’d be leaving Andrew in a bind, another person she’d have to hurt. Her mind kept going back to Jax. It was bothering her she didn’t tell him she was leaving. There was no type of goodbye. That never mattered before. It was pointless to keep thinking about it, it wouldn’t change those hard knock facts.

Andrew was unlocking the door when she arrived. “Hey.” He said. “Good timing.”

“Yeah I didn’t want to miss you. We have to talk.”

“Ok, come in.” they stepped inside and walked down to his office. “I’m not going to like this, am I?”

“No you’re not. I have to leave, I know it’s sudden but I can’t work for you anymore.” He was another reason Charming became too personal. Andrew was a stranger that had been good to her without reason. It was rare. “I’m sorry.”

“Yeah me too.” The bell ringing over the front door stopped him from saying more. “I forgot to lock it, let me go see who that is.”

Alone Chloe sighed, it was getting late and she couldn’t miss the bus. She left the office to see what was taking so long to tell someone they were closed. First she heard his voice then saw the face her nightmares were made of. Her heart stopped, this couldn’t be happening. She had to run and she did. She ran for the door before he could catch up.

“Chloe!” he yelled, on her heels.

Outside she crashed into something; she looked up and could suddenly breathe again. “Jax.”