Chapter 6

AN: I added some scenes from the current episode. I will be following the show as much as it fits into the story. The chap is a bit short but it needs into the next part which starts the job.

Chapter 6

Jax was pissed; he knew there was something off about that ATF agent lingering around town, now he knew what. That freak was obsessed with Tara. Talking to Hale for some information felt like a waste of time and now after seeing his son’s room destroyed there was only one way to handle it. He left in search of the special agent.

IIII

First day on the job, Chloe showed up early to help Andrew set up. She liked being at the bar, it felt normal and he was a sweet guy. Andrew was easy on the eyes and nothing like her father which was a big plus. Yet she wasn’t drawn to him, he was sweet and safe. She didn’t know how to live safe.

When there was nothing left to do but open Chloe went back to the clubhouse to change into her uniform and wait. The house was empty but not for long. Inside her room she heard groans coming from the hallway. Jax was limping to his room with a bloody leg. “What happened to you?”

“A pair of scissors.”

She saw the blood on his pants and the sweat on his brow from the pain. She stepped back inside her room and grabbed a bag. “You’re a cripple now, let me help you.” Chloe helped him sit down on his bed.

Jax suddenly looked uneasy. “Isn’t there someone else around?”

“No but if you want one of the guys touching up on your leg I’ll go look.” She teased.

“No, just hurry up.”

“Hey I’m being helpful so you be grateful. Why don’t you go to the hospital anyway?” she dumped her bag of medical supplies on the floor, she learned to always be prepared.

“I don’t like hospitals.”

“You go everyday to visit your son.” With a knife she cut open his jeans from the wound down.

“That’s different. Do you know what you’re doing?” it was a big knife.

“Yeah.” She stood and lifted her shirt some. “See that scar? Pretty faint right? I stitched that up myself. Sal never let us go to hospitals, they ask too many questions.” Chloe laid the supplies out beside him. “That’s why I put this bag together. So what happened? If I’m helping you have to tell me.”

He did. Jax told her about Kohn and what was happening with Tara; the fact she was scared of the guy. Lastly he told her about Abel’s room from everything being broken and pissed on. Chloe kept him talking to distract him from the pain and stitches.

“Your mom must be spitting fire.”

“She thinks if she cleans and decorates it’ll fix everything.”

“Gemma just wants the baby to have a nice place to go home to.” She placed the needle aside and began ripping tape preparing for the bandage.

“I don’t know where his home is. That house…..it’s only bad memories.” He said softly, noticing her hands. They were careful and precise.

Chloe looked up and caught his eyes, her chest tightened. “Why are you looking at me like that?”

“Like what?”

“Like you wouldn’t mind seeing me naked.” She accused sounding nearly outraged.

“I wouldn’t.” at his words she laid the bandage on his leg, pressing harder than she needed to. “Oww you bitch.”

“That’s ok I’ve been called worse. You have enough women troubles don’t go looking for more.” She laid the last piece of tape. “Done.”

“Thanks.” Jax stood and headed for the door.

“Where are you going?”

“To give a statement to the cops.”

Kneeling on the floor she first watched him go then collected the trash and supplies. The world they lived in wasn’t meant for normal relationships, outsiders didn’t understand. Jax was going to learn that the hard way with Tara. There was nothing more Chloe could do for him, she continued with her original plan and got ready for work.

The simple uniform called for a white shirt and a black skirt. She skipped the skirt and pulled on a pair of black jeans. Taylor’s opened that evening; the crowd wasn’t large but fair. An hour into the opening Andrew noticed the uniform change. “What happened?” he asked.

“I’m not a fan of skirts and behind here you can’t tell what I’m wearing anyway.” Chloe said and left it at that. Andrew was one of the last people she’d admit her truths too.

IIII

Jax walked away from Tara that night unsure what came next. They had tried to be honest with each other about what they felt and what came next but at the end of the tense conversation there were no answers only more questions.

She’d never accept his mother and Gemma was clear on how she felt toward Tara. She was safe now from her crazy ex-boyfriend; she didn’t need him anymore, that damn agent’s words kept ringing in his mind. Jax didn’t know what Tara wanted and hell if he knew. He couldn’t fault her for not having the answers when he didn’t either. He drove through Charming and spotted the open sigh of ‘Taylor’s’ Chloe was another problem swirling around his mind.

He knew she was lying about her reasons for leaving home. She was also complicated. He never met a woman like her; dangerous. Gemma was the only badass female rebel he knew until now. Chloe followed different rules; did she care about hurting innocents? How good could she handle a gun? How much blood stained her hands? At the end of the day he felt bad for her. Jax was now just trying to figure out life in his late twenties, right from wrong. At twenty-three she saw and dealt with far more than he had at that age.

He kept driving, Chloe Morrow wasn’t his problem when there were so many to face.

IIII

1am closing time. After a nine hour shift which was pretty busy at times Chloe was bored. Back home she grabbed her sketch pad and sat on the pool table just off the living room. The lamp above was the best light in the house. The sensible part of her brain suggested she go to bed, tomorrow was an important day. But the other side of her brain said screw it she wasn’t tired.

She turned the page to her latest work in progress then noticed she was no longer alone. Chloe hadn’t been the only late owl. Jax arrived late, the hood of his jacket pulled over his head. His eyes stood out with the dark material. She didn’t ask if he was ok, he surely didn’t look it. “One of those days?” he shrugged and walked away.

She shook her head and grabbed her pencil. She couldn’t waste time feeling anything for Jackson Teller.