Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Chloe switched the guns to match the bullets they’d find inside each body. Her and Jax’s guns were of course unregistered and the serial numbers scratched off. Jax stuffed the money, two hundred thousand dollars in neat stacks, inside the duffle bag. Chloe stood waiting as he relocked the door. Saying she looked like hell would be an understatement. He moved the shirt she held against her face. “It’s still bleeding.”

“It’ll stop.” Reapplying the shirt she started back to the car. Jax walked behind her in case she fell, it wasn’t until they were at the car he noticed her stomach. Her complete left side was purple and she was only wearing a pink bra.

He tossed the bag in the car then pulled his sweatshirt off, leaving him in the black t-shirt he wore underneath. “Here.” Jax helped her pull it on.

“Thanks.” Chloe mumbled before climbing in the car. She tried to escape, think of anything else besides the pain racing along her body. She mentally cursed every time they hit a bump or uneven rode. She opened her eyes and noticed they weren’t going the same way they came. “The club is the other way.”

“I’m taking you to the hospital.”

“Jax, no!”

“You probably need some stitches and you might have internal bleeding. We’re going. How did that happen anyway?” Jax motioned to her stomach.

“Getting kicked twice by a two hundred pound man. But it’s fine, the hospital involves cops.” She tried to reason with him but it wasn’t working. Jax was as stubborn as they came. Minutes later he pulled into the St. Thomas hospital. “Please.” She tried. “I’m fine, you’re fine. Let’s get this money to Clay.”

“If you die it’s on me and it’s not happening.”

Instead of making a scene and hurting herself farther, Chloe went along with it. If cops asked questions he had no one to blame but himself. His plan became clear when he dragged her along in search of a certain doctor. It didn’t take long to find her, Jax knew her schedule.

“I need you to check her out, off the record.” Jax said softly.

Understanding settled in her face. “Yeah give me a minute.” Tara led them to an empty gurney in the hall, and told Chloe to sit and wait.

“Girlfriend to the rescue.” Chloe didn’t want to be there, she wasn’t going to pretend and be happy about it.

“She’s a friend. You should be glad.”

“Why? There’s nothing wrong with me a few days won’t heal. If I was dying why would you care? It’s not like anyone would miss me.” she said, shrugging as if it was the simplest topic in the world.

Jax’s question fell flat in his throat when he spotted who came through the double doors. “Shit.”

Deputy Hale wasn’t there for them, the response time would be too fast but that didn’t stop him from noticing the pair on his way to question another. “What are you doing here Teller?” his eyes scanned Chloe’s face.

She spoke. “This good citizen was kind enough to bring me here.”

“What happened?” Hale asked next.

“I was overzealous and while swinging from a chandelier I didn’t see the wall close by.” Chloe said with a straight face, while Jax tried not to grin behind Hale.

“And how do you know Mr. Teller?”

“He’s my pimp.”

Jax couldn’t stop himself that time from laughing; her face had been too serious. “She’s joking; she’s a friend from out of town. Nothing to see here and no one to arrest.”

Not sure what to make of Chloe, Hale shook his head and walked away. Chloe watched him go, saying to Jax. “That was fun, now can we go?”

“No, here comes Tara.”

“Yay, let’s try and contain our excitement.”

Tara led them to an empty exam room. “It’s pretty slow; no one should need this room. What happened?”

“I fell.” Chloe said automatically.

“Show her your side.” Jax said.

“You are bossy, I can’t get rid of you.” Chloe lifted the sweatshirt enough to show her ribcage. The longer they were there the worse her anger became.

“That looks painful.” Tara looked closer.

“Wow. You are good. Can I go?”

“No, why don’t you lie back so I can feel around and make sure it just looks bad but everything else is ok.”

Chloe listened, laying back on the exam table. Tara used both hands on top of one another to press down. It hurt, a lot; it wasn’t until the third time Chloe jumped from the table. “Shit, lady.” She gasped at the sudden movement plus the poking made her feel on fire.

Jax noticed tears along her eyes, since the whole ordeal began she hadn’t cried once until then. “Hey.” He stepped closer as she stood in a corner. “Pain is better then death.” It was the best he could think of.

“That’s what you think.” She turned a heated glare toward Tara. “I’m fine right?”

“Yeah nothing out of the normal. We still have to clean up your face.”

“It doesn’t need stitches, it stopped bleeding and it’s not deep. Just bandage it.” Chloe grudgingly agreed to sit back down.

Tara asked to speak to Jax alone outside of the room. “How do you know her? What’s going on?” she asked, not comfortable with the whole situation.

Jax didn’t want to lie to her. “She’s Clay’s daughter.” Sometimes lies couldn’t be avoided. “She ran into some trouble and I brought her here for help.”

Tara sighed. “You didn’t have anything to do with it?”

“No.” Jax said. It was really how you looked at it, he was there but he didn’t hurt her.

Satisfied with his answer Tara left to gather a suture kit and tray. Jax stepped back inside the room to wait.

“You could tell me I was right at any time. I told you this was a waste of time. Now your girl is thinking the worse with that judgmental look.” Chloe said.

“You sound like my mom.”

“A blind person could see your lifestyle makes her cringe. But that’s ok, I don’t blame her. I wish I led some normal life where I didn’t know what I do.” Her eyes grew dark and tense. “Have you ever killed someone, not in self defense but because you were told, because it was apart of the job?”

Jax stared into her eyes and saw a very raw sadness, again he questioned just why did she leave home? “Why don’t you get out of it?”

“It’s not that easy, you have no idea how many people want me dead. It’s all I know and excusing tonight I’m pretty good at it.” she smiled bitterly. “You’re getting that look. Don’t worry I’ll be gone before anyone thinks to look here.”

“Is that what you’re running from, someone wants you dead?”

“I’m not running, I’m taking control. You should try it sometime.” Chloe said as the door reopened and Tara stepped inside holding a tray.

She cleaned up the cut that went across Chloe’s cheek bone then applied small pieces of tape. “All done.”

“Thanks.” Chloe said, hoping she still didn’t sound like a bitch. She didn’t want the doctor to get the wrong idea.

Chloe and Jax left the room. “Let me make a stop before we go.” Getting the money to Clay could wait another five minutes. He couldn’t be at the hospital and not see his son.

Chloe followed him inside and waited as he said hello to the baby. “He’s gonna be a heartbreaker. He looks like you.”

Jax smiled.