Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Clay was serious about what he wanted from Chloe, so serious he had Gemma come over and keep a watchful eye on her. “I don’t need a babysitter.” Chloe complained, she and Gemma were seated together on the couch inside the clubhouse.

“Not yet. You’re showing.” She noticed now through the t-shirt Chloe wore.

“Yeah, you’re good at changing the subject pretty quick.”

“Do you want to go back to the subject of what Clay wants? Why don’t you tell me more about this guy giving you trouble?”

“I’d rather not.”

“Then sit there like a good girl and don’t give me any trouble.” Gemma grinned and picked up a magazine. She was proud about how quickly she got Chloe to see her side of things. She was boss like it or not and everyone learned to like it.

Chloe felt like pulling her hair out from frustration and boredom. Jax came strutting in minutes later and a big grin appeared on his face as he spotted his mother. “Clay called in the big gun.”

“Funny Teller.” Chloe wasn’t happy and didn’t care who knew it. “This whole family is just a laugh a minute.”

“Bitter doesn’t suit you.” Gemma said from behind her magazine. “You don’t want to get wrinkles so soon.”

Jax chuckled and Chloe sent him a death glare. “This isn’t funny.” She said. “It’s weird if you think about it, I’m not some teenager he has to baby. That ship has sailed and he’s a few years too late.” She was grateful that Clay wanted to help her but she wanted to be involved. It her was battle and she shouldn’t be on the sidelines.

Gemma lowered her magazine. “You’re right, you’re not a kid but you are carrying one. Maybe he’s realized he couldn’t help you then but he could help you know. Maybe Clay also realized he couldn’t help you as a child but he can help this baby.” She motioned to Chloe’s stomach. “Just a thought.”

Chloe sighed and sank farther into the couch. “That’s a great idea and all but this is just too much. This day to day thing in each other’s life is only temporary, when I can I’m out of here.” She noticed how Jax’s shoulders tensed, she knew he wasn’t a big fan of her plan but that was only because he was trying to be a nice guy and help her. Once she was gone they all could get back to their lives and forget about her and realize it’s what was best.

“And go where?” Gemma pressed. “What good will it do you to go to some city where you’ll be alone with no family, no support?”

Chloe stared down at her crossed hands. “What family? Clay has never wanted me, and he’s only helping now because Luke could pose a threat to the club and because I was helpful with that Mayan business.”

Gemma groaned, it wasn’t wise to push her patience but nonetheless she kept a tight lid on her temper. “And what about the rest of us? Clay and I are married and that makes you my step-daughter and Jax’s sister.”

Chloe laughed. “Well I sure as hell hope not since I made out with him, that’d be kinda weird.”  She voiced the thoughts that ran through her head. Sure legally she and Jax held some relation but not biologically, thankfully.

Gemma looked up at where her son was standing. “She makes bad jokes when she’s in a tight spot.” Jax explained.

“So you didn’t kiss?” Gemma pressed and knew the answer as soon as Jax shifted his feet. “What’s the doc gonna say about that?”

“Nothing, there’s nothing to say or any reason for her to know. It was nothing serious, Chloe’s leaving remember?” Jax said, an edge to his voice. He couldn’t believe his mom was pushing this in front of Chloe. “She wanted to deflect and it worked.”

“No it didn’t. I’m not senile yet, my short term memory is just fine.” Gemma turned back to Chloe. “Your father wants a second chance.”

“No he doesn’t, that’s just what you think is right and I know you’ll push it on him. I don’t need it, I don’t need him and I don’t need you.” she got up from the couch and went back to her room.

“That girl is stubborn.” Gemma said, shaking her head. “She got dealt a bad hand and wants to push everyone away to protect herself. I get it.” 

Jax walked over and sat beside his mom. “And what changed for you?”

“I met your father and found family inside this club. There’s nothing wrong with leaning on someone else from time to time, it doesn’t make you weak. It makes you human.” Gemma explained as she looked toward the hallway Chloe disappeared down. “What’s your take on her?”

“She’s dealing with a lot of shit and doesn’t want to let Clay or anyone else in.”

“What about you and the shit you’re dealing with? Abel will be home soon and he needs to know everything is ok within the family.”

Jax knew she was talking about the club and his second guessing of Clay. “It is.” He didn’t need to worry his mother with his end thoughts and fears of what was right and wrong for the club. His father’s manuscript made a lot of good points, points he couldn’t shake from his head. “His birth is making me see some stuff differently, that’s all.” He hoped that answer would satisfy her, at least for now. “What are you going to do about her?”

Gemma reached forward and grabbed her magazine from the table. “Catch up on my reading.”