Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Chloe insisted on carrying the bag of money even though she was in pain and tired. She wanted to be the one to deliver the goods, see his reaction. Clay and the rest of the guys were sitting around the clubhouse; she dropped the bag on the table where he sat at. He opened the bag, took a wad and saw that it was in fact real. A big smile formed on his face. Chloe waited until she was looking in his eyes to ask. “Did I pass?”

“With flying colors kid.” He said, confirming what she already knew.

“Yeah tell that to my ribs. Enjoy the money, smell it, pay with it, I’m going to bed.” she turned to leave.

“Hey, wait.” Jax said, sounding concerned as he touched her arm.

“I’m fine. If you try and help me I swear I’ll kick you in the balls so hard they’ll become your tonsils.” Chloe kept walking to her room, silently daring anyone to stop her.

Jax watched as the guys celebrated the Sons latest victory. He saw it with his own eyes and still couldn’t believe Clay set his own daughter up to get caught, to take a beating. He left to go check on her, ignoring her earlier protests. He’d talk to Clay later and maybe that would help Jax understand his logic.

He stepped inside her room; Chloe was lying stiff on her bed. She turned her head to see him. “I was hoping you were someone else, someone female. Is Cherry around?”

“No she left with Half-Sack, what’s up?” Jax asked.

Chloe sighed. “Ok I’ve finally run out of adrenaline and everything is killing me now. This is a really stupid ass problem but I hate to sleep in jeans, very uncomfortable. I guess I’ll deal with it for tonight. What brings you--” her words caught as he moved closer. “What are you doing?”

“You need help, right?” he had the button off and lowered the zipper.

“Yeah but--” she tried to stop him but currently he was faster and stronger.

Jax lowered her jeans down her legs then tossed them aside. First he noticed the matching pink panties to the bra he saw earlier, he forced his eyes away then noticed the faded bruising along her upper thighs. “How’d that happen?”

“I’m a klutz remember?”

“No that’s your cover, did someone hurt you?” Jax asked tightly, fearing her answer while also feeling his blood begin to boil at the thoughts that ran through his mind.

“You’re not going to give this up, are you?”

“No.” Jax said, trying to hold his temper as he sat on her bed. The picture of Chloe Morrow was starting to come clear, he wanted to know the rest.

Chloe forced herself to sit up, placing a pillow over her lap. The real pain she felt and the pain of the memories caused tears to surface. “No he didn’t hurt me in the way you think but he tried.” She saw no other choice but to say it.

“And that’s why you left?” she nodded, he asked. “Who was it?”

“A guy I worked with named Lucas. We were friends having both worked for Sal for years. I liked him I did but I wasn’t ready.” Chloe wanted to forget and never mention it again but a small part of her felt relieved to be able to talk to Jax.

“Why did you run, why didn’t you tell Sal?”

The tears fell. “I did. The first time Luke got handsy but he didn’t hurt me. When I told Sal and he put him in his place then….” She let out a long exhale. “He came pretty close. He’s at the top of the list of people who want me dead for ratting on him. He talked to Sal after the first time and convinced him it was a mistake that I took it the wrong way and Sal took his side. That was three weeks ago. Before Charming I was hiding out in different towns.”

Jax held her hand. “You can’t run forever.”

“No but it’s working for me now. Don’t tell Clay or anyone else. I don’t even know why I told you.” As the emotions were passing she realized it was a mistake, she pulled her hand free. “Don’t feel sorry for me.”

“You should get some rest.” Jax walked over to his own room, shut the door and sat down. He did feel sorry for Chloe, he wanted to somehow fix it and feeling that way was a mistake. He had Abel, the club and Tara to focus on but he couldn’t stop Chloe from evading his thoughts.

IIII

Chloe wanted to sleep for days but of course what she wanted didn’t matter. Remembering what happened left her feeling empty. She crawled out of bed and pulled off the sweatshirt Jax leant her. Jax had only seen the bruising on her thighs, her upper arms looked much worse; the marks left by the grip of his hands. It was why she only packed long sleeved shirts. Thankfully the warehouse had been dark and Jax didn’t pay attention to her arms. She had been as honest as she could be and still she lied to him. Sighing, she reminded herself she owed him nothing.

She stood and covered the mirror with a towel, she didn’t like who she saw in the reflection. Grabbing her pad she sat back down and started to draw the most beautiful thing she saw that day, something innocent and painless.

IIII

The next morning Jax met up with Clay in the garage office. He couldn’t stop himself from questioning his step-father, mentor and friend. “Is what she said true? Did you set Chloe up?”

“I wanted to know if she could take care of herself. Saying and doing is two different things.” Clay explained.

“She took a pretty bad beating.”

“She’ll be fine. I didn’t want her hurt; if I did I wouldn’t have sent you as back-up. She knows how the game is played, she took the cards dealt and accepted it.”

“Yeah you’re right. I’ll catch you later.” Jax walked away. Clay made it sound simple, seeing nothing wrong with the fact his daughter was hurting. On that note he went to go check on her, but her room was empty. He noticed sheets of paper along the bed; one caught his attention. It was a drawing of Abel cradled inside the palm of a hand. It looked so real as the detail was amazing.

“Looking for me or just snooping around?”

“I was checking on you and saw this. You only saw him for a few minutes. This is really good.”

“I have a good memory. You can keep it.”

Jax stared at the drawing, his son’s first photo. “Whose hand is it?”

“Yours.” Jax’s stare turned to her, his look was intense and appreciative of the picture. The silence started to choke her as she wondered what he was thinking when he looked at her like that. “Anyway can you do me a favor? I can’t walk all the way and I need to talk to Andrew. I flaked on him last night.”

“I’ll take you.”