Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Jax couldn’t get the image of all the blood out of his mind’s eye. There had been pools of it all over the floor and stains of it littered his hands now as he sat waiting for news.

They were at the hospital, Gemma was pacing around the waiting room, Clay was like a slab on concrete leaned against a wall. He was silent vocally about his emotions but his blue eyes were hard with sadness and pure anger. If Luke wasn’t already dead Clay would’ve beat the guy to death with his bare hands and enjoyed every second of it.  

Chloe had been shot, the bullet going in her neck and out the back of her head. It didn’t look good but as the ambulance came she was still breathing and as far as Jax knew she was still alive fighting for her life in an operating room somewhere above them.

He felt worthless as all he could do is sit there and wait. None of them had the control to suddenly fix this. All Chloe had done was run to make a better life for herself and her baby. It wasn’t her fault her mother made bad choices and Clay couldn’t be bothered because in his mind it was easier to walk away than face the truth of a daughter who needed him.

Luke had taken advantage of her so many times and there had been no one to help her, until now and yet it was still too late. They fought and won, it should be over, she should be free.

His fists tightened at his sides, he didn’t do well with anger either and right now he was ready to explode. None of this was supposed to happen.

He got up and walked out of the waiting room. He was nearly to the exit when Tara called out his name. He turned around and met her in the hall. “Do you know anything?” she wasn’t the doctor on Chloe’s case but that didn’t stop the hope he felt that she could tell him everything was going to be fine. He had promised Chloe that the club could help, he convinced her not to run and now she had a bullet to the head. He couldn’t shake the guilt he felt over the fact if she had left town she and her baby would be safe.

“Dr. Morgan is in the OR right now doing the best he can.”

“But?” Jax swallowed back the waves of emotion threatening to spill out from his eyes.  

“We have to wait until the surgery is over.” She gently laid her hand over his shoulder. “She’s still alive and that counts for something.” Her voice was soft as she told him not to give up hope on his friend.  

He nodded and tried to look on the bright side for once and not expect the worst. He stood there and took in Tara’s silent comfort until a minute later he heard a set of heavy boots coming closer. Jax took in a deep breath of relief at the sight of Opie.

Tara stepped back. “I’ll give you guys some time alone. I’ll let you know when the surgery is over.” She squeezed his shoulder again before walking away back to work.

“Hey man. Bobby called and told me what happened.” Opie had been at home in bed with his wife Donna when the attack happened. “How’s Clay?”

“He’s not saying anything. We got to keep an eye on him and make sure he doesn’t find trouble.” That red hot anger coursing through Clay right now could lead to a bigger problem if he took it out on the wrong person and right now there were a few people on his list.

“Tig is out front waiting to take him home when he’s ready. What about you? Are you ok?” Opie knew his best friend well enough to ask. He was the only person Jax opened up to about his feelings for Chloe being something other than what he was trying to convince everyone.

All those feelings Jax had been trying to fight rose back up to the surface. “She wanted to leave town but I brought her back so she could warn Clay about Luke being a threat and to grab her things. We shouldn’t have told her to stay.”