Chapter 7

Chapter 7

At some point Chloe must’ve fallen asleep at the pool table. When her eyes opened it was because someone was touching her. Instinct won over logic as she grabbed his arm, kicked his gut and tackled him to the ground. It wasn’t until the last step she saw Jax’s face. “Don’t sneak up on me.” while she felt her body shaking with an old fear she was also embarrassed and sorry for hurting him. She got off of him and extended her hand to help him up.

“What the hell?” he didn’t know what else to say.

“Sorry. I’m used to living alone and alone if someone was there it meant trouble.” She avoided looking at him.

“Has that happened before?”

“Maybe but we’re not talking about me.” Chloe grabbed her things and left to her room. She closed the door and felt like an idiot. She kept revealing parts of herself she wanted to forget and not let anyone else see. Sal’s words started to run along her skull, how she was an animal and would never be normal. Angry, Chloe kicked off her boot and tossed it across the room. The clock read just past four in the morning. Soon she’d have a chance to show her father she wasn’t a screw up and stupidly it coincided with the night she wouldn’t sleep.

IIII

Jax went that morning to see Abel since his night was already planned. Seeing the kid had a strange calming effect on him. At first becoming a father seemed like a nightmare, he tried to avoid the baby and all the changes it meant. Now Abel was the only thing he was sure of. Shit with the club was getting tough, everyday something was happening he didn’t agree with. Clay was keeping secrets and every day their bond seemed to pull farther apart.

He sat and watched him sleep, using the time to think. SAMCRO was getting farther and farther from the original vision, the latest job was proof of that. They were stealing from The Mayans to make a gun payment. There was nothing outlaw or justified involved; just an easy way to make money.

Sticking it to the Mayans would be sweet but a sneak attack didn’t seem like the way or involving Chloe. He didn’t care what she was used to; messing with the Mayans could get her killed.

The door clicked open and he looked up to see Tara. He was used to her finding him when he visited. “You haven’t heard from Kohn again?” it was easier to stick with business, neutral ground. Yesterday he had made sure the psycho agent left town.

“No all safe like you said. Look I’m sorry about last night. I can’t blame you for being suspicious about why I came back. I came back because….it’s home and I was scared and home felt safe.” Tara admitted, it wasn’t easy.

Jax bit the bullet and chose to be honest. “I’m sorry for walking away like that.”

She smiled. “Thanks.”

IIII

She paced, back and forth, over and over. Chloe wasn’t worried about the job but she was worried about Clay. It was stupid, she knew how to work, she was good at it but she wanted him to think so too. The phrase ‘Daddy issues’ kept popping into her head. She vowed before coming to Charming that Clay meant nothing, that coming was a means to an end and nothing more. Chloe hated when her plans didn’t work.

She left her room deciding a walk was better than obsessing. She stopped at Taylor’s when she saw Andrew was in. “I’m going to be late today.”

“It’s only your second day.”

“Yeah it sucks but something big came up. You can fire me or be the nice guy that you are and give me two hours free and I’ll work Saturday.”