Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Chloe started to realize what her lovely stepmother was up to as more time went by and they were still at the hospital. “You think we’re safer here in the general public.” she was seated on the hospital floor by Abel’s crib as Gemma sat in the rocking chair.

“Can’t hurt plus we keep my grandson company.” She was flipping through another magazine she found out in the waiting room.

Chloe was quickly learning that arguing with Gemma was pointless and tiring. “Ok.”

SAMCRO knew they needed to deflect Alvarez attention before he struck again and this time one of them ended up seriously hurt or dead. Jax knew he couldn’t change Clay’s mind for good and violence against the Mayan President was going to come to head one day.

The club agreed for now to play it Jax’s way and go with his idea of putting the Mayan’s on another trail to follow.

Alvarez was spitting mad over his money missing, he suspected SAMCRO but had no concrete evidence. Since Jax and Chloe went in smooth to retrieve the money and no signatures were left behind it wouldn’t be hard to convince the Mayan’s maybe someone else robbed them

“Who are we willing to throw on the chopping block?” Chibs asked as they all tried to mastermind around the table.

Opie answered. “Alvarez has been getting some heat from the Calaveras to patch over. Word is from the Grimm Bastards is Hector is getting pissed at the lack of combination from Alvarez.”

Jax and Clay to each other and shared a look that had them both on the same page now.

Jax was surprised when he went back to the hospital to find his mom and Chloe were still there. This time Chloe was cradling Abel to her chest as she rocked in the chair trying to get him to sleep.

“She could use the practice.” Gemma said after she spotted him.

Jax didn’t like how his chest tightened at the sight of her with his son, it was too gooey and wimpy in his book. So what if he looked damn near perfect in her arms or the love inside her eyes as she watched Abel start to drift off. “You’ve been here for hours.”

“It’s Gemma’s plan to hide in plain sight.” Chloe answered, her eyes still glued to Abel. “Has Clay asked any questions?”

“He thinks you’re both still at the clubhouse.” Jax said with a slight cringe, Clay was going be pissed when he did find out they were gone and didn’t bother to at least call.

“What are you doing here?” Gemma asked a she wrapped her arm around her son’s waist.

“Tara needed a ride home.” he was waiting for his mother to make some comment about her dislike for Tara but the comment never came. Gemma and Chloe shared a look that has his mother sighing but keeping her thoughts to herself. “Am I missing something?”

Chloe got up and carefully laid sleeping Abel back in the crib. “Gemma and I were talking about second chances earlier, she wants me to try with Clay and I pointed out how she should try with Tara and let you all have a chance.”

Jax thought it was out of this world she was trying to help him with Tara. It bothered him she didn’t even seem a little jealous. Maybe the kiss was just a reaction to the memories she dragged up because she looked at him as a friend, nothing more. It didn’t seem she felt anything else.

Jax had loved Tara for as long as he could remember, he had dreamt of her coming back and them getting that second chance. He had come to terms he’d always love her and no woman could ever make him forget her.

Except around Chloe he wasn’t filled with regrets about Tara, he wasn’t longing for a past love anymore. When it seemed like no one could break the shell Tara created around his heart Chloe came into the picture; his step sister who saw him as nothing more than a friend. This was insane even for him. Things this twisted normally happened to Tig.

He had Tara back and that was always the plan. He needed to focus on trying to make that work and figure out what they were doing together. After the mess with Kohn and the bastard left town they started to get even closer but they were both too scared to talk about what it exactly was. Or to put a label on their time together.

Jax didn’t know what to say about Gemma butting out of his life in the first time since he could remember. “You should get back to the club house. I’ll meet you there after I drop Tara off.”

Gemma nodded in agreement. “I’ll handle Clay before he throws a hissy fit.”

Chloe was relieved to be back at the compound, her feet were aching and she was tired. Maybe that was part of Gemma’s plan too, make her so tired she didn’t have an urge to complain anymore and wouldn’t try to do anything stupid like leave.

“Hey ladies.” Tig greeted. “Clay’s been looking for you.” he relayed to Gemma.

“Let me go lay some sugar on him.” Gemma was confidant she could turn her husband’s sour mood upside down. She had an extra swing to her hips as she walked toward the chapel.

Chloe said goodnight to Tig and continued to her bedroom. She tossed herself down onto the bed and fell asleep instantly. Little did she know it’d be the last moment of peace she’d have for a long time to come.