Chapter 15: "Worried?"

Chapter 15

Jack’s POV

I held Kaylyn tighter to me, scared that she would fall apart in my arms. Suddenly I heard a snapping noise, and my head turned. I saw a lone photographer holding a camera, and anger bubbled up inside of me.

I carefully led Kaylyn back to the bench I had found her sitting on, and turned to the photographer. I heard Kaylyn continue sobbing behind me, and my heart broke once again.

“You don’t want to do that,” I growled at the man, who had taken more pictures.

“Are you kidding me? I’m gonna get rich from these pictures!” he said gleefully. I walked forward and ripped the camera out of his hands, leaving him shocked.

“Now, what was that you said?” I questioned in a low, menacing voice.

“N-nothing,” he said, fear in his eyes. I looked down at the camera in my hands, and pulled out the memory card. I shoved the camera back in the guy’s hands then turned around, disgusted. I slipped the little chip into my pocket. “What do you think you’re doing?”

I spun around, angry all over again.

“Excuse me?” I snapped.

“What do you think you’re doing with my property?” he quipped. I couldn’t stand it anymore; I stepped forward and delivered a punch to his jaw. He groaned, bringing his hand up to the red mark that was forming as he was thrown off balance.

He suddenly glared at me and tried to punch me back, but I caught his fist with my hand. I was about to knee his gut, when something tugged on my arm. I turned my head to see Kaylyn clinging to my arm.

“Please, Jack, don’t,” she begged. Her tear stained face, red, swollen eyes, hair a mess and the sadness on her face made me let the guy go. At some point I’d grabbed a fistful of his shirt and brought him level with my eyes.

“It’s your lucky day,” I said, then shoved him a little. He quickly picked up his camera that had fallen on the ground, then ran away. A smug smirk made its way onto my face, but then I remembered Kaylyn. I looked back down at her. “Are you okay?”

She hesitated, biting the corner of her bottom lip. “Not at the moment,” she said. “But I will be soon enough.” I smiled a little, and brushed a strand of hair away from her face. She was so delicate and fragile, I didn’t see why I hadn’t noticed before.

I stood up then helped her up as well, wrapping an arm around her small waist. I led her to my car and opened her door for her, then went around to the driver’s side.

“Take  me back to Lilly’s,” she mumbled and stared blankly out the window. I turned the car on and peeled out of the car park, then began the route to her friend’s.

I kept nervously glancing at Kaylyn, just to make sure she was okay. She still hadn’t told me why she was crying, but I didn’t expect her to. She could tell me when she was ready.

My focus wasn’t on the road, - which it should’ve been - but I was too worried about Kaylyn. Then the next thing I heard was a loud honk, and everything went black.

+ + +

Adrenaline pumped through my veins, and everything around me was intensified by a thousand. I could hear every one of my rapid heartbeats in my ears, and the distant yelling.

I vaguely remembered hearing tires screech, and the clash of metal on metal. Had we really been in a car accident?

Oh, shit. I’d let Kaylyn get in a car accident. . . . Oh shit, was she dead?!