Chapter 24: "My dad is here."

Chapter 24

Saturday morning was spent in our pajamas, watching cartoons and eating pancakes made by Jack’s chef. I raved over them, much to Jack’s annoyance. I think it was because he wished the pancakes he’d made me were my favorite. Secretly, they were.

All over the media was our appearance at the premiere the night before. Apparently I’d been the best dressed woman there, which I was flattered to receive the title.

By the time the afternoon rolled around, I’d already talked to Lilly on the phone for a few hours, racking up Jack’s long-distance minutes on his home phone.

“Remember-”

“Be there by one tomorrow.”

“Or I’ll cut off all the sleeves to your shirts.”

AJ chuckled on the other line. “You’re very intimidating, baby sister.” I rolled my eyes. “There’s no need to roll your eyes at that.” Dang. He knew me too well.

“Okay, well, don’t forget, I’m cooking.”

“Oh, God, Kaylyn, I’m scared now.”

“Just don’t forget.”

“Bye sis.” AJ hung up and I set the phone in its cradle.

“Hey Jack, we have company tomorrow,” I yelled. I was standing at the kitchen counter, doing the crossword in the newspaper in pen, feeling like a boss. I squealed lightly when I felt Jack wrap his arms around me and put his chin on my shoulder.

“And who would that be?” he mumbled as he started kissing my neck. For some reason, I didn’t stop him.

“My brother. But you better be good.”

“When have I ever misbehaved?” I twirled around and surprised him with a peck on the lips.

“Many occasions,” I teased.

“Me? Never,” he growled playfully. I let him kiss me and wrapped my arms around his neck while he pulled me closer to him. The romance of the night before had somehow changed us both, but for the better.

I heard little paws run across the marble floor and a small figure nudge between our legs. Jack groaned as we pulled back from each other and he picked up Melody. I suddenly felt empty without him, even though he was just a foot away from me. My skin grew cold, and I couldn’t decipher the feeling. Longing, maybe?

I watched with a smile as he rubbed Melody’s belly and she panted happily. She was still the little puppy that I knew, she hadn’t grown much, or even at all. Jack did so well with her that I tried to picture what he would be like with kids. It was a long stretch, seeing as he was still pretty much a bachelor, but I couldn’t help it.

How would he be with a baby? Or even our baby? What if we ended up getting married, and we started a family?

I mentally slapped myself. I need to get a grip. Jack would never want to start a family with me, so I shouldn’t have even considered it. The possibility was so slim already, I didn’t need to get my hopes up . . . .

“Is there anything you want to do today?” Jack asked, looking up at me expectantly. I shrugged.

“I assumed that since we were out last night we could just order a pizza and watch some cheesy movie tonight.”

“What about a cheesy yet scary movie?”

“What, so you can put your arms around me and comfort me? In your dreams,” I teased.

“Oh no, you’re only in my nightmares.”

“And why would I be there?” I questioned.

“You’re always trying to kill me,” he joked.