Chapter 25: "Everything will be fine."

Chapter 25

Kaylyn’s POV

I stared at the white blank page, reading the words but not absorbing them. How could I think, at a time like that?

My eyes automatically flicked over to the figure laying peacefully beside me, then back to the page every few seconds. My nerves had really kicked in the past few hours; I felt nothing but the nerves. Finally, I snapped the book closed, throwing it on the ground next to me as I crawled into a ball on my chair. I closed my eyes. Maybe all I needed was some sleep. After all, I hadn’t gotten any the night before.

But it was still at the back of my mind. My thoughts racing, there was no way I’d be able to do anything. I sat up and sighed, then got off the chair and stepped into the hallway. The air smelled of antiseptic and death. I’d never been fond of hospitals.

I numbly made my way to the cafeteria. If I couldn’t sleep, I would need more coffee. Much more.

When I entered the canteen, I saw my mother shoveling her dinner in her mouth. She had wanted to take shifts with me, but I had refused to leave AJ’s side unless I absolutely needed something. She vaguely smiled at me, then quickly went back to eating so she could see her son.

I wiped a hand over my face as I got in line. Grabbing a cheap Styrofoam cup, I filled it with the black liquid I had been searching for and waited to pay. I pulled a few crumpled dollar bills from my pockets and gave them to the lady behind the register.

My thoughts drifted back to my helpless brother, in a drug induced coma and unaware of its effect on his family. The lady impatiently handed me my change, and I realized I had completely zoned out. Grumbling apologies, I wandered out of the cafeteria and back to my big brother’s room. I took a sip of my coffee, then set it on the small table in the room.

I sat down in the chair I’d claimed as mine, ignoring my mother on the opposite side of the bed. I took one of AJ’s limp hands, then buried my face in it.

“I miss you, Andrew,” I whispered. “I need my big brother.” I knew he wouldn’t be able to hear me; that would have been nonsense to even consider. I just had to talk to him, someway or another.

Minutes passed, but I didn’t move. I felt almost as though I couldn’t. Suddenly, as though out of sheer hope, I felt the smallest movement in my hands. My head snapped up, but I couldn’t believe myself. I had to have been imagining it.

My eyes met with my mother’s, as her eyebrows furrowed together.

“What is it?” she asked. My face contorted into a mask of confusion, I slightly shook my head to motion for her to be quiet. Once again, I felt a small movement. I looked down at AJ’s hand and saw his fingers wiggle a little.

My breath caught in my throat. It was the last thing I expected, for him to wake up. The chances had been so slim. He was in the ICU, for Pete’s sake!

His eyelids fluttered. He was going to be okay! I could feel it in my bones. His eyes finally opened, to meet mine.

“AJ,” I murmured, his nickname automatically escaping my lips as I felt a tear leave my eye.

“What day is it?” he rasped, his throat dry and his voice scratchy.

“It’s Monday,” I laughed, more tears flowing despite my smile. “You’re in the hospital.”

“I know that much,” he teased, rolling his eyes. He began to sit up, but I saw him flinch and I immediately helped him lay back down.

“Not yet,” I warned.