Chapter 17: "I swear to magic bananas."

The beautiful Jack and an awesome song on the side!!

**********

Chapter 17

“Get a room!” Cooper yelled, then I felt water hit my skin. I pulled away from Jack as my cheeks flushed. I’d completely forgotten that we weren’t alone; I was mesmerized by him.

I glared at Cooper but he just waggled his eyebrows like Lilly had. I crossed my arms and rolled my eyes while Jack turned away and went back to the grill.

Why had I just kissed him?  I didn’t love him, but I knew he did love me; I didn’t want to lead him on and end up hurting him in the end.

That would just make me hurt, too.

But why would I be hurt? Surely just because I’d feel guilty . . . right?

It all confused me so much. I didn’t know if I had feelings for him, or I just liked to be around him because he made me feel accepted, and I knew he’d be there for me. I liked to think that he was just my friend, and nothing else.

What else could there be between us, anyways?

I finally remembered where I was when I heard another splash from the pool.

“Come on, Kaylyn, aren’t you getting in?” Lilly called, dunking Cooper absentmindedly. In my eyes it was cute, because I knew she liked him, and I was pretty sure he liked her, too. But of course neither of them knew that.

“Coming,” I responded in a distant voice, walking to the steps that led into the pool. I waded into the warm water, making sure not to get my arm wet. Jack got in the pool after flipping the steaks, swimming towards the deep end.

I stayed where my feet could touch and rested my arm on the flagstone next to the pool. My skin soaked up the sun that beat down harshly, but with my body in the water the heat felt nice.

I heard lots of splashing and giggling from both Lilly and Ashley. I assumed that Ben and Cooper were harassing them, as usual. I closed my eyes and dipped my head back to feel the warmth on my face.

Suddenly I felt my feet go out from under me, and I was being lifted. I flailed around, until I realized that Jack had picked me up and swung me over his shoulder. I pounded on his muscular back, hoping he’d let me down.

He went up the pool’s steps and onto the patio. Through my wavering vision, I saw him walk around the pool.

“Jack, I can’t get my arm wet!” I whined. “Please, just let me down!”

“Okay, I’ll let you down,” he said. I could hear the smirk in his voice. I felt the weightlessness of being airborne for a moment, as if I was thrown. My back hit the water and I held my breath automatically as I became submerged.

Of course Jack would be the one to throw me in the pool.

I felt my feet hit the bottom and I pushed off, giving myself the force to propel through the water that fought back. My head popped up above the surface, and I gasped for air.

“Jack Stone, I swear to magic bananas that I will get revenge!” I shouted as I treaded water. I glared at him as I heard everyone else laughing. He stood in the same place where he’d been when he’d thrown me, clutching his stomach with a huge, goofy grin stretched across his face.

His dirty blonde hair was tousled and slightly wet. His beautiful brown eyes sparkled with a happiness that made me happy, too, allowing me to forget my anger. His chiseled abs looked absolutely mouthwatering, especially as they flexed with his laughter.