Chapter 20: "You just missed the exit."

Chapter 20

"Turn right. . .no left! Turn left!"

"Make up your mind!"

"It's not me, it's the phone, I swear!"

"That sounds like one of those breakups that start with, 'It's not you, it's me.'"

"Jack. It's not you, it's me," I said with a poker face. We'd hit a red light, allowing him to look at me.

"Now that's just mean," he stated. I smiled as I got lost in his brown eyes.

"Turn right here," I said, dazed. Jack looked back to the road and followed my instructions. I looked down at my phone and tried to figure out where we needed to go next. "Shouldn't you have a GPS in this fancy sports car?"

"Mine's broken, I kind of got mad at it last week and, uh. . .punched it," he said bashfully. I laughed as I pictured him punching his car.

"Classic Jack," I said. "Hey! That rhymes! And I didn't even try! Wow, that was amazing."

"Actually, that didn't rhyme," he said. I rolled my eyes.

"Let me have my moment," I grumbled.

"So where are we going, anyways?" Jack asked curiously, flicking on his blinker.

"A vintage camera store," I said simply.

"A camera store?" he questioned.

"A vintage camera store," I corrected. "Get it right, Stone."

"So now we're on a last name basis?" he quipped. I smirked.

"Why, does that bother you?"

"No," he said quickly. Too quickly.

"It irks you. I know it," I replied confidently.

"Whatever," he grumbled and kept his gaze concentrated on the road.

"Stay on the highway for ten more miles, then get off at exit 83," I instructed. My Wonder Pets ringtone suddenly filled the car, and I looked down at my phone. I didn't recognize the number, and it was unusually long, but I answered anyways.

"Kaylyn speaking," I chirped.

"KAYLYN!" a voice screamed in my ear. I flinched and realized it was Lilly. She continued in a rushed, excited voice, "Oh my gosh, Europe is amazing! I'm in London, and we're headed to France tomorrow, then Switzerland and Germany and Sweden and-"

"Lilly!" I yelled, cutting off her rambling.

"Yes?" she answered innocently. I sighed.

"Slow down and speak like a normal person. Now, how has your day been?" I asked curiously.

"Well technically there's a time difference so it should be how was my day, but I won't correct you on that."

"You just did."

"Oh. Right. Anyways, it was awesome," she continued in a rushed voice. "I've met about a dozen hot guys already, and each one of them have offered to show me around! My parents have let me do whatever while they going on romantic outings and gross stuff like that, so naturally I've done nothing tourist-y. But I did get you a cheesy shirt from a street vendor already and that's about the only thing productive I've done."

"Lilly, I still couldn't understand about half of that. All I got out of that was hot guy, parents, romantic, and cheesy shirt."

"My bad. How have you been?" she questioned happily. I blew out a big breath of air.