Talk of Heroes

Akira’s POV

I had been back for a few days and in that time I had managed to argue with Kakashi, threaten Sasuke, bond a bit with Naruto, make-up with Kakashi and for the rest of the days beat the others at tree climbing. They seemed annoyed by this, I could understand why but it’s not my fault, Ibiki trained me a little too well. Although Sakura seemed impressed and so did Kakashi.

So, because of all of that and Kakashi’s pestering, I was forced to protect Tazuna along with Sakura. Not exactly fun. In the first five minutes with Sakura, she had mentioned Sasuke twice, complained about Naruto 3 times and tried to flirt with me through all of that. If I wasn’t ordered to be here, I would have gone back and trained with the others. The next best thing that I could think of was to walk away.

By noon I had managed to walk around the bridge and analyze everything, from how the bridge was  built, to where people could hide on the bridge. I was on my way back when I heard the workers talking.

“I’m thinking of quitting too.” One of the older in the group said.

“Seriously? But, over half of our people have already left.” This worker seemed younger.

“Weren’t you also thinking of leaving?” Another asked.

“Well yeah, but I don’t want to leave Tazuna alone. He’s stubborn, even with his life in danger he’s still building this bridge. At this rate he and the rest of us will be killed.” The young one said.

I walked over, “You don’t know that.”

They turned to me, “What would a kid like you know of this world?”

I shrugged, “Not much, but enough to know that you should stand up for what you believe in. If you don’t do that then you might as well be dead. If the one thing you care about is gone where does that leave you?”

“Kid, mind your own business. It’s our lives, not yours that’s on the line.”

“Actually I’m here risking my life to help get this bridge built so we’re in the same boat. Both risking our lives for what seems like a hopeless cause and yet we keep going because we think it’s worth it. If you quit now you might as well be abandoning your friendship and your country. You’re all a bunch of cowards in my eyes. I believe that friends shouldn’t turn on their friends.” I turned and walked back to where Sakura and Tazuna stood.

They both stared at me before glancing over to the men I had talked to who had gone back to work.

“What did you say to them? I thought they would have told me they were quitting like my old friend, but they’re working harder than I’ve ever seen them.” Tazuna’s eyes bore into mine, seeking an answer that, to be honest, I had pretty much forgotten about in the few seconds it took to walk over here.

“I didn’t really say anything, but I think they understand how important this bridge is to everyone, and to you.”