Funerals and kidnappings, meet Akira's life.

Akira’s POV

I woke up the next day puffy eyed and confused. When did I- right Kakashi had picked me up right after…I shook my head trying to focus on anything else but the house was quiet. It felt a little lonely. I sat in bed starring sadly at my open hands. Do I make others feel this way with the lives I stole? They must be I decided.

A tear hit my hand as fresh tears pooled and fell. I cried once more for Gramps but also for the lives I took and those who remained behind. All the names on the K.I.A stone, Kakashi’s friends…

Eventually I got out of bed and dragged my feet down the hall. I noticed that the dogs were wearing black as well in mourning. It was another reminder, he was gone.

Upon reaching the living room and seeing Kakashi reading his book as usual I quickened my pace before hugging him tightly. I feared that if I let go or if he left my sight he’d leave too. Maybe if I had just hit the barrier with a bomb or maybe gotten help he’d still be here smiling from beneath his funny hat. Kakashi returned the hug, his one visible eye had a dark bag under it showing that he hadn’t slept easy either.

We sat in silence for a while not tracking the time, each ninja hound gathered around our feet while Pakkun sat in my lap. Each one trying to offer a small bit of comfort.

Kakashi gently let go of me, “You should get changed. The funeral, it’s today.”

I nodded before heading up the stairs carrying Pakkun with me. “It’ll be okay kid. It won’t hurt so much after everything settles back down.”

“I hope so…”

I changed into the funeral attaire like Kakashi asked and decided that I looked as though I’d be joining Gramps in death. I walked back downstairs Pakkun following  near my heels, I put on my shoes and grabbed Kakashi’s hand. It was comforting to have another person nearby and Pakkun helped too. We reached the funeral and I dropped Kakashi’s hand to stand beside Naruto and a young boy named Konohamaru, turns out he was Gramps’ real grandson. I sank to my knees, “I didn’t know he had relatives.”

He sniffled, “Well he does, who are you?”

“Akira.”

His eyes widened in recognition, “The old man told me about you. He said that if I saw you around to treat you like family.”

I nodded giving him a short hug as the speeches started just as the rain fell. Naruto and Iruka comforted Konohamaru as he slowly broke down. Every now and then Naruto would look at me and send a sad smile which I returned with a short sideways hug.

When it was time to place flowers on the alter and say a few words I walked forward as one of the last. I placed my flower and bowed deeply giving him the most respect I had ever given anybody in my life. I silently cried as rain washed them away.

“Why?” I asked his picture. “Why did you trust me? Why did you never ask questions? Why did you treat me like your own? You were one of the few people to treat me like a person and not a stupid sacrifice or burden. I- I will stay in the village and fight to help it. So, wherever you are please be happy. You loved this village and although we’re young and reckless we’re not stupid. We’ll protect this village with you gone. This is my home, I love it and even the people. I’ll miss you…I’ll miss you a lot. I love you…” I forced my voice to be stronger each breath shuddered less. It was the last good bye, it hurt but it felt needed. “I vow to protect this village with all my strength, no matter what I’ll protect these people. The next generation will stand strong and will continue to gain strength. The enemy will never see us fall, we’ll never give up. Gramps…rest in peace the village is in safe hands.”