Chapter Four

• Dedicated to Georgie

    Madre placed the book on top of my head. “Is this really necessary?” I asked.

    “Of course, if you want to attract the best princes you have to become the best Princess.” She said frowning as she pushed my shoulders backwards.

    “I’ve been practicing all of my life, Madre.”

    “I know. Practice makes perfect and you are by no means perfect.” So I paced up and down in the library without looking down making sure that I could swiftly glide along without the fear of tripping over. Everything ran smoothly.

    Madre had even put three books on my head and I was just about managing it when the door burst open and in barged Senorita Dulcinia and the King hands all over each other and clothes barely on. I gasped, the books dropping heavily to the floor around me, narrowly missing my feet and Madre just stood there. “Oh.” Padre cleared his throat and Senorita Dulcinia just about pulled her corset –which had been undone- around her chest.

    Madre stood there taking in the sight.

    “Why would you come in here?” I asked outraged but trying my best to disguise it.

    Senorita Dulcinia giggled, wiping some of her red lipstick off of her chin. She looked like a harlot and so undignified. She could hardly be classed as a lady. “I apologise that you two ladies had to have seen that.” Padre broke the silence.

    Madre tore from the room, her heels hitting the wooden floor hard like daggers through flesh. She slid past Senorita Dulcinia and out of sight. Senorita Dulcinia folded her arms and raised an eyebrow at me pointedly. She wanted me to walk away as well. I was going to stand my ground. They had Padre’s bed chamber, that was enough wasn’t it?

    “Little Princess,” she said with sneering eyes but a soft voice. “Your Padre and I would like to look for some novels…Alone.” She added.

    “Well, if you are both just looking for novels then I shall stay and look for the novel I wanted.”

    “You were not in here looking for novels, you were practicing becoming a princess.” She replied tartly.

    “Pardon! I am a Princess.”

    “Rosanna, darling, can you please just leave.” Padre said. I stared at him wanting him to choose me and Madre over that. He didn’t though so I stormed past accidently catching Senorita Dulcinia on the shoulder. “You would be wise to watch your temper.” Padre called after me.

    I stormed into my own bed chamber on another floor and I paced up and down, walking the fury out of my sytem. My eyes pricked with tears of hurt.

  ******

    On my birthday I received a massive cake with sparklers and a colourful icing. It looked delicious. Madre and Padre sent in a seamstress who fitted me with four new dresses and I got five pairs of new shoes with frills and bows and jewels encrusted on the buckles. I also got a very fitted woman’s jacket which looked very becoming on me. It was a fantastic birthday.

    Two months after my birthday the Duchess of Toures got back into contact with me and asked if she could visit. I accepted but only after a small deliberation. If she was going to come and tell me all about the wedding of the Dauphin and Myrtle and how she was now expecting their first child then I would send her away. Or better still I would get the guards to personally throw her out of our country and ban her from ever returning.

    On the day of her visit I wore one of my new dresses which was mint green with the most beautiful floral design and a very low cut bodice and my new corset which held me very tightly in. I wore a light green bow around my neck and my hair piled in intricate curls on top of my head with a flower in it.