Chapter Thirty four

I stayed away from Versailles for over a month and a half before the inevitable summoning from my husband demanded my return. I had gained some healthy weight and been able to sleep a bit better, still not managing full nights so in that respect I had a similar sleeping pattern to little prince Henry!

    Philip, it was rumored, was throwing a ball to celebrate our return which I found disarmingly sweet and caring of him. When our carriages trundled passed the palace gates and we beheld the magnificent beauty that was Versailles I was smothered with nerves and excitement. I had been away from my husband for too long yet away from my courtiers not long enough. We got out and then walked passed everyone and inside. I had not missed these walls much although they were so dreadfully gorgeous.

    At least when I walked passed people a few of the courtiers bobbed their heads or dropped to a respectful curtsy as I passed them by. Although when I glanced behind I saw a lot more drop for my son, August, their Dauphin. I was conflicted with envy and relief, they liked him, surely he was under no threat by them then. They wanted him to remain next in line.

    “Madame,” a footman sprung out from somewhere making me flinch. “Sorry.” He bowed so very low.

    “What do you want?” I snapped, annoyed at him frightening me.

    “Your dress has arrived for your ball tonight.”

    “Oh.” I glanced at Agate and Giselle who was flagging me. “Thank you. We better go and get ready.” So that is exactly what we did. I sent someone in search to find out my husband’s whereabouts as I was sewn and stitched into my magnificent petal like dress. My hair was piled on to the top of my head and it must’ve been held together with magic, I did look pretty spectacular I had to admit.

    “The King is in the middle of a gambling game, My Lady.” My messenger said before I dismissed him. I tried not to be hurt that he couldn’t excuse himself for five minutes to come and greet me. I wasn’t going to allow myself to become stressed again; I swear that it had nearly killed me before. Or else it had very nearly broken me.

    “That one.” I picked out my choice of three necklaces, it looked like a spider web made out of diamonds and crystals, it was magnificent. Maria came into the room then, holding hands with Anne Louise, she was an adorable little girl with creamy soft cheeks and gorgeous wide black eyes. “Is something the matter?” I smiled at them welcomingly.

    “Anne Louise does not want to go to the ball, mama.” Maria spoke on behalf of her sister.

    Frowning I lowered myself down to their level as much as possible in the attire that I was in. “Why ever not, child?”

    “Scary.” She told me with a wobbly bottom lip.

    I took her hand and led her to a chair and sat her down. “Little princess you are not telling me that you are scared of a ball? What could possibly happen to you in there?”

    “She is scared of the people, mama.”

    “Is that true?” I gave her a small smile. She gave one resounding nod. “What would they do to a sweet, innocent princess like you? Everyone loves you, Anne Louise. You are a good little girl.” I took her hands and helped her to stand on the seat to save me bending down and I kissed her on the cheek. “I am sorry that you are frightened but as a princess you have duties which you are obliged to do. Attending balls, especially ones in your honor is one of these obligations.” I held her cheeks lightly in my hands. “You be a big brave princess for your mama, yes?” She gave a small timid nod. “Well done. Thank you my little princess.” I kissed her on the forehead and wrapped my arms around her tiny body for a few seconds before helping her off the chair and leading her back to Maria. “Will you take care of her Maria?”