Chapter Eleven

I spent the next month mainly receiving and sending letters to Josepha as we talked back and forth mainly about my pregnancy and her lack of a husband…As of yet. Apparently Madre was throwing balls here there and everywhere! Josepha seemed adamant in remaining husbandless saying that she was quite content spending her time with Nikola. As for Jeanne and my other brother they were both due to be married.

    In honour of one of Philip’s younger brother’s Birthday we had a massive reception where noblemen and noblewomen from all over France descended upon us and we gambled and partied all night. I only had three glasses of red wine but spent the majority of my night laughing and gambling with my newly found friend Agate. “You-you do not see me nearly as much as you told m-me you would.” I had pointed my finger at her and she laughed and curtsied in an apology.

    “Forgive me friend, I had to travel to the North to tend to my mama, she has been terribly ill.” She pulled a face as she popped a handful of grapes into her mouth.

    “And how is she now?” I pried.

    She pulled another face and raised her shoulders ever so slightly, “she died I am afraid.”

    I had slapped a hand over my mouth, “oh, I am so terribly sorry. What a downer to put upon you on a grand night such as tonight.”

    She shook her head, dismissing my apology straight away, “no, no, My Lady, I should have written to you. The blame rests entirely with me.”

    I reached up and she pulled me to my feet. “Enough, I fear any more talking and I will fall over! Let us just dance, friend.” And we danced the night away and it was splendid. When the Duc de Toures came and told Agate that it was time to leave I excused us and whispered that if she didn’t start coming to the palace more often then I would never see her again, of course I was drunk and joking and she knew that.

    Philip was leaning against a wooden chair quietly observing the room and all of its splendour. I went over to him, “what is the matter, my love?”

    He jumped as I brought him abruptly out of his thoughts and he passed me a weak smile. “Nothing, I am just weary.”

    I pursed my lips and glanced around the room, now I’d taken a step back it was awfully loud. “Shall we retire to our chamber?”

    He paused before giving a small nod, “I think that would be best.” We went to his brother and wished him many happy returns for his Birthday and the poor chap was completely drunk out of his mind and couldn’t stop laughing for the life of him. Next we went to the King who was entwined with Madame duBois and Philip unsubtly cleared his throat. They came apart and Madame duBois stared at me hard as she waited for me to say something to her. I stared at the King and nodded and smiled politely as Philip bid him goodnight.

    The King clapped Philip hard on the shoulder and nodded his head grandly in my direction. “Goodnight sweet Dauphine,” he smiled at me.

    I curtsied very low, “goodnight.” And yet I could not bring myself to address Madame duBois. She stood twitching with fury beside the King who was too drunk to really notice. I turned and followed Philip’s lead out of the door and away from the music and banter and towards the subdued quiet of our chamber.

    He sighed heavily as he hit the bed and I followed suit, finding it a comfort to clamber into soft cool sheets that smelt like flowers. He took my hand in his and turned to look at me. “In a year’s time we will have a Dauphin of our own.”

    “Yes,” I agreed smiling in the dark. “he will be a mere few months old.”

    We went very quiet and I thought that Philip had fallen asleep until he spoke. “Are you excited about having a baby?”

    I considered it, “yes, I suppose I am. Are you?”

    His hand brushed my cheek. “Yes.” We both snuggled down and got comfortable. “Sweet dreams, Anna.”

    “Sweet dreams.” I whispered.

******

    The next day I sort of floated about, I had a bath and then to my delight Agate came round and we lounged in futons that were positioned so that sunlight scattered through onto them and we ate dainty chocolates and gossiped all day. In the afternoon fifteen boxes all beautifully wrapped arrived where we were to try on them and buy the ones that we liked. “These ones would be nice if they were not a pumpkin orange.” Agate said primly holding a magnificently sculpted heel with the most frilly bows on it.

    I had to agree, “yes, perhaps in a pastel blue or fuchsia.”

    She grinned, nodding excitedly up at me, “that was exactly what I was thinking.” She put it back in its box and watched me hold my skirts up so that we could both see me totter around in the absolutely jewel encrusted pair that I had managed to squeeze on. “Oh my!” Agate had gasped with a sly smile. “They were tailored for you, Rosanna. You have to get them!”

    I chewed my bottom lip and glanced up at her, “are you sure? I really cannot decide.”

    “What is there to possibly decide upon?” Agate asked.

    “Are they not too much? It is already hard enough to walk without adding lead weights to my feet!”

    “Oh come now,” she brushed off with a tinkling laugh. “That is a tad melodramatic!”

    I shrugged and laughed, “You are right, they are awfully pretty.”

    “Go on,” she urged.

    I hesitated and then sighed with a laugh as I took them off and nodded. “Alright, alright, I shall get them.”