Chapter Six

• Dedicated to Clare

    I was sat at a small rounded table opposite Eloise in the middle of a very tense game of cards. It could have gone either way, she was good was my Eloise but I played a lot like her as she had once been my teacher. “Will you travel with me, to the crossing-over?” I asked with pursed lips glancing up at her, analyzing her features.

    “Is that what you wish, child?” She tried hiding her smug smile that said she thought she was winning.

    I bowed my head, “It most certainly is! The very idea of having to leave everything I have ever known and loved makes my heart beat fast with fright. I am petrified of becoming a woman.”

    She slapped one of her cards face up on the table, I tried not to wince at the sight. She hooked her hand round the chips pulling them towards her end of the table, “What exactly do you think it is that turns a girl into a woman?”

    My eyes studied her seriously, wondering why on earth she had bothered to ask the question when everyone knew the answer. It was pummelled into our heads from the day we were born,. I knew it as well as I did the Lord's Prayer.

    “Marriage and bearing children.”

    “And is that what you see yourself doing when you are wedded? Simply you will bear children and be a silent, obedient wife?” She was smirking at me with a knowing look in her eyes.

    My cheeks were as bright as ripe cherries, I used the two cards I was holding to air my face, smirking at my nurse. She knew me better than I knew myself. “I suppose my big mouth will prevent that from happening.”

    She chuckled, leaning forward to snatch the cards from me, adding them to the pack and shuffling the deck of cards. “I suppose it might.”

    “I would think the words that I will say will be what decipher me from being either childish or womanly. One would hope that one would grow confidence in a mature manner and be political and clever and witty in her own right.” I picked my words particularly, leaning back in my seat and drumming my fingertips distractedly against the table top.

    She cocked an eyebrow, “And it is words like those that tell me that you might just be ready for married life.” She began dealing the cards so quickly that I could barely watch her hand moving. “You are intelligent and very clear of your own mind; I would not know how the French will react to that.” She slapped the remainder of the deck on the table, swiping up her hand. I snatched mine holding them close to my chest. It looked like it might just be my turn to win.

 ******

    I was dancing with Nikola whilst Josepha played us the harpsichord when Madre burst into the room, Josepha trailed off and we bowed our heads. Madre only had eyes for me though. “You leave in two days,” She told me and then I was ushered away to talk to Senor Vargas who explained that I could have one lady in waiting travel with me.

    I asked for Livonia as although I never really associated with my own lady’s in waiting I thought it would show us up if I did not take one with me. After I had spent a long time discussing things over with Senor Vargas, Padre summoned my presence. His study was old and simple, the walls lined with books that thrust forth his wealth, he sat in his chair with his chin in hand, Senorita Dulcinia for once not clinging to his side.

    “This will be the last time that we properly meet each other, my child.” He said in a deep voice, as if it was a hardship for him. “I recall your sister coming in here before she departed for Poland,” My mouth twitched sadly as I thought of Katherine and how much I longed to see her. “I have informed her of our alliance with France and she is most pleased. Here, I have a letter that came by yesterday morn. It is just as much addressed to you as it is I.” I glanced from Padre to the letter and silently took it from him.

    Dearest Padre,

On hearing of Rosanna's match with the Dauphin has filled me with great relief and happiness. I feel with no doubt in my mind that she will be very satisfied by his side and will make a proud and honourable wife to him. 

I would also like to send you some news of my own, you are to be a grandpapa very soon. The palace doctor seems to think that I am expecting twins and I am on bed rest at present. It involves a lot of staring out of windows waiting for my sons to be born. The winter is so harsh over here I dare not go outside for the snow would reach my knees! As I write you this letter I am sat by the hearth trying not to shiver. I miss the Andorran sunshine. Still, everything is happening at the moment and it brings me such joy. Send my love to the family.

Much love from your eldest and most loving daughter,

Katherine

    I couldn’t believe that my eyes had actually begun to well with great juicy tears. Blinking fiercely I returned the letter to Padre. “That is such tremendous news!” I beamed, feeling my smile stretch with both joy and sadness.

    He nodded very proud indeed. “I will inform our country that princess Katherine is doing finely in her married life and doing her country proud once your story has died down. You are somewhat an icon at the moment, very much what the young maidens are aspiring to.”

    I was astonished, having grown up the complete and utter infant of the family it was difficult to hear that I was suddenly a role model to the people. “Why on earth would anyone want to aspire to be like me?”

    Padre laughed a great booming laugh like I was a silly fool for not realising the truth right away. “Because you have to be something special to be marrying the Dauphin of France Anna, you know that. Not just anybody is bestowed with such an honor.” He raised his eyebrows as he rolled the letter back up. I watched, he did not even glance down at my sister's words, the corners of the page bending through his carelessness.

    “Now, have you been talking to Vargas?” I nodded. “Good, I shan’t repeat what he has already informed you of. I needn’t bother tell you how vital it is that you watch yourself and do your family and Kingdom proud. You know how politically we are very much under the French and Spanish thumb. This marriage could be the very thing that either releases that pressure or crushes us. I know it amounts to a lot of stress on you my child but I would not have accepted their proposal unless I was positive that you were strong enough.”

    I bowed my head forcing myself to drop my gaze, my stomach was already tight and uneasy with nerves at the task I had been set. Taking a staggered breath I pushed all my efforts into maintaing a levelled and unshaking voice. “Thank you Padre, that means a lot to me.” It had also been the most that he’s ever said to me in one go and I was slightly baffled by the whole ordeal. 

    “I wish you the best of luck and hope that you are a good and prosperous wife.” He got to his feet and I lent forward to delicately kissed him on the cheek.