Chapter Fifteen

Agate and I were fitted for our ball gowns and they arrived the morning of the ball. I wandered around that morning as the palace swarmed with people and servants getting the ballroom set up. There was a magical buzz about the air. The Courtiers were muttering and talking about it and I was once again the centre of attention but for once it was because the ball was centered around me. “Why is there a ball?”

    “I heard it was because the Dauphin is trying to re-spark their pretty much dead marriage.”

    “Really? I heard it was because she was expecting once more.”

    “No!”

    “That’s impossible, I know for a fact that she is no longer intimate with the Dauphin!”

    “Maybe it’s a ball where the Dauphin is in search of a mistress.”

    “Oh…That would be interesting! I wouldn’t dismiss it though, ladies. The state that their marriage is in I would not hold it against him if he did take up a mistress.”

    “Or two.”

    They were giggling when I walked by and the way in which they deliberately stopped and glowered at me reproachfully as I paused and we all half curtsied, bobbing our heads made my blood boil. “Ladies.” I greeted.

    “Dauphine.” They chorused monotonously. I opened my mouth to say something but they turned away from me in an utterly rude and ignorant manner that made my cheeks burn in offence.

 ******

    I didn’t actually see the Dauphin until moments before we entered the ball but before that I spent the day mainly out of everyone’s way. After that incident with the courtier ladies and their insanely arrogant ways I was hurt enough to retreat to my private rooms where I did some embroidery while Chaney fussed about the room making odd bits of conversation with me. I would think that we’d grown quite comfortable in each other’s company and although I was master and she servant I found that our relationship sort of blended into friendship.

    When the time came I stood as I was practically stitched into my gown, a glorious pastel green colour with intricate details that would have taken too long to describe. My sleeves were frilled and my corset was pulled tightly so that my breasts bulged. I breathed as I was taught by my Madre when I was younger. My hair was piled in twists and plaits on top of my head with some left to curl over my shoulder. Heavy, diamond earrings were put in and a beautiful emerald necklace that sat in the hollow of my throat.

    “You look spectacular, Dauphine.” Chaney complimented and I grinned at her.

    “Thank you…” I turned to face her. “If things had turned out differently I would have loved for you to attend.”

    “Thank you, Your Highness,” she bobbed her head, “it means an awful lot to me.”

    After being doused in perfume I was led down the grand staircase where people were already heading into the ballroom chatting away. I wore a sweet, white and gold mask. The Dauphin was greeting the guests as he waited by the door to the ballroom and when he saw me he bowed so low that it made my heart positively flutter. “My love.” He greeted as he straightened up. I bid him a deep curtsey that resulted in me nearly touching the ground.

    “My Dauphin,” I said and placed my hand in his offering one.

    “You’re the most elegant and beautiful creature that I have ever seen.” I giggled and complimented him back as we glided into the large room that was already swelling with music and people. I thought that I spotted Agate chatting rather closely to a tall, mysterious masked man. The Dauphin spun me onto the floor where we glided around, in each other’s arms as we gracefully flitted through other couples that weren’t as important as us.