Chapter Thirty one

“Agate,” I called as I saw her exit a room. She turned and smiled when she saw who it was. Waiting for me to catch up she patted herself down.

    “Is something the matter?”

    “Something is always the matter.” I rolled my eyes. “It is Senor Vargas. I have been hearing whispers that the King is being demanded to hold a trial for his treason.”

    Agate put her hand over her mouth, “oh no! That cannot happen he is innocent!”

    “As far as I am aware Philip is still ignoring those demands but there is only so long one can stand with their fingers in their ears pretending to not hear the shouts. I think I will send Senor away.”

    Agate was nodding along, “yes, yes, that is a good idea, for his own safety.”

    “I never thought that I would have to practically exile one of my oldest allies just for his protection.” I told her sadly. “I never thought things would get so out of control. I fear, Agate, I fear everything and everyone for who is there left to trust?”

    “You are not alone…Not yet anyway.” Agate squeezed my hand and then passed me by. Rubbing my arms anxiously I jerked my head about so I could see everything around me, I knew somewhere there would be someone whispering.

    I was muttering to myself when I knocked on Senor Vargas’s door and slipped inside. He had been sat at his desk, feet up on top of it and was reading a book but he snapped to attention at the sight of me. “I have been thinking, Senor.” I started and then stopped to take a breath in. “It pains me to say this but your safety here at Versailles is no longer guaranteed.”

    “If you are on about the treason rumors then they have not failed to pass my ears too, Anna.” He told me wearily. “I am all too aware.”

    “Well,” I snapped a little tersely, “we can no longer mope about the situation and pray that it will subside. Evidently it will not. You cannot remain here any longer. To ensure your own safety you must leave France.”

    He leapt to his feet and wrung his hands together, “I cannot leave Your Highness. I am your adviser, who will you take on to replace me?”

    I thought about it but shook my head, “no one. There is no one else that I trust enough under these circumstances but unfortunately needs must Senor, you cannot stay.”

    He bowed his head, “where will I go?”

    “Back to Andorra of course,” I smiled softly, “you get to go home.”

    “That will not work, Your Highness, if I flee back to Andorra and a warrant is out for my arrest they will know straight away where I am. I am as much use there as I am here.”

    “You cannot stay.” I was adamant about that. “I will not allow another man to be tried and killed under my conscience.”

    The look Senor Vargas gave me jolted my memory and my eyes went wide and I regretted saying that very much. “What are you on about?”

    “Nothing,” I dismissed immediately. “Nothing at all. Silly words. You will not distract me, Senor, you must leave Versailles.”

    “Please let me stay,” he begged, “please, I am positive that we can get through this. It is merely a glitch, once another more exciting rumor is spread out then the quicker this one will be swept aside.”

    I nodded slowly, “well I can try to get another rumor going. It should not be too hard as I am sure that there are eyes and ears turned my way all the time.” I rubbed my arms nervously. “Yes, I will do that…Alright Senor, you can stay and I will give this whole thing one month and if it is not entirely resolved by then then you must leave Versailles. Ok?”