Chapter Thirty two

Three days later I was trying on different shoes with my ladies when yells from somewhere in the palace made us freeze before staring at each other. I felt sickness travel to the pit of my stomach. I kicked off the stupid heels and stepped back into my own pale green ones, “what was all that commotion?”

    “You should wait up here Anna,” Giselle warned as Agate briskly walked towards the door. “It might not be suitable for you to go down.” They were having a mutiny, they were going to storm up here and behead me where I stood!

    “Where are my children?” I asked hysterically as Agate left to see what was happening. “Where are they?” I demanded. “I need to know. Are they safe?”

    “Yes, yes, they are in their chamber.” Giselle explained and without hesitation I stormed through the secret wall that was wallpapered to look inconspicuous and I clicked up the stairs and burst into their nursery room. The wet nurse was feeding Henry and got to her feet although I held a hand up to stop her.

    “Oh thank God,” I put a hand to my heart as I scooped as many of them as I could into an embrace. “You stay up here do you understand?”

    “Is it to do with all that shouting, mama?” Maria asked.

    Not wanting to lie to them yet not wanting to frighten them I bent the truth, “yes, they were shouting and I want you up here out of the way as they are grumpy and we would not want them to shout at you would we?” I kissed their heads and got to my feet again. “I will go and tell them to take their quarrels elsewhere, yes?” My children cheered as if I were heading into some valiant battle. I smiled at little Henry although he was obviously occupied so I slipped away back to my ladies again.

    Nervously I rubbed my arms and checked about the room. When Agate came back her cheeks were rosy but her eyes were dark. She was shaking her head, “I am sorry Anna, I am so sorry.”

    “What!” I demanded. “What is it? Pray tell.”

    “Senor Vargas...” She shook her head heavily. "He has-I...Rosanna there is something-" Everything stopped for a moment as my stomach filled up with sick and grief. I didn't need Agate stood there stumbling over words for me to understand what was happening. Everything began revolving again and I breathed out shakily, “Maybe you should sit down-”

    “How can I sit when there is so much to do? Something bad has happened and it is my job to help him!” I began to barrel towards the door but Agate stopped me.

    “You-I-he has-you cannot go after him, Anna.”

    “Pray tell me what has happened, dear friend?” I wailed softly.

    “I-all-there was-there was a lot of blood,” Agate told me shakily, “I don't think My Lady would like to no any more.”

    “Senor Vargas is injured? After all the good and greatness he has done for our country? This is some warped version of justice I tell you that now.” I twitched in some form of shocked frenzy.

    Agate pulled me into an embrace that I did not return but she used it as a chance to whisper in my ear, “It will be alright, you have to focus on your children and your own reputation now.”

    I shoved her in the chest hard so that she would get away from me, "You already tell me to move on. Agate, I thought better of you.” I went to go passed her but upon grabbing the handle realised that I was no longer capable of walking around down there alone. I faced her, “I am sorry. I should not have pushed you and I should not have snapped. Sorry. Will you all please accompany me to the King’s study?” Agate and Giselle thankfully walked with their shoulders pushed against my own. My ladies followed somberly behind, showing strength and solidarity towards their Queen. However, I didn't lead them to the study like I first planned, curiosity and fear drove me to search for Senor, to see if I could help in any way.