Chapter Twenty four

Rustling through the court was an understatement. It was as if there was a pot of water and it was currently simmering but was oh so close to boiling. “Madame,” a footman called from where I was sat listening to Agate play the harpsichord. I nodded in his direction. “You are to go to the King’s throne room immediately.” I got to my feet, slightly flustered nodding at once.

    “Of course.” I glanced around at my ladies in waiting who were staring expectantly, awaiting orders like startled sheep. Jewel scattered sheep. “I will go alone.” I departed hurriedly without breaking into a run yet gliding delicately with haste towards the other end of the palace to Philip’s throne room.

    The door was opened for me and I stood, the room had serious and somber yet sort of excited looking men piled around the perimeter. Philip was sat in his golden twined throne, looking moody so I went and sat in the throne beside him unquestioningly. I wanted to know what this was all about.

    “Bring the Duc forward.” He spoke after a moment of hushed anticipation. Two guards brought him forward where he was looking frail and desperate. It was not a satisfying sight. I sat uneasily in my chair as I stared down at him, knowing deep inside that Agate and I had gone too far. “A plot.” Philip spat. “You have plotted against your King.”

    “No My Lord-”

    “Silence!” Philip boomed over the top of the almost groveling man. “I did not give you permission to speak. You are here to address me about treason.” The Duc bowed his shaking head. “You cannot deny it, there is even a letter with your signature which you tried to send to London. Tell me…Why?”

    The Duc wrung his hands together, seizing the chance to talk, “My Lord it was not like that. The signature is forged! I would never do such a thing to you. I-I love my King and country.”

    “Well your act of treason suggests otherwise.” Philip raised a shoulder.

    “It was forged, Sire, please, I beg of you to understand that I would never-”

    “Who would forge a signature of your letter of treason? Why? Why would they do that and furthermore who has that much of a grudge against you?”

    My stomach was knotting atrociously, I must have looked guilty as anything because when the Duc’s eyes flickered my way and our gazes locked it must have all connected with him. I had had nothing to do with this latest act but I had been a huge part of his undoing. “It was her!” His lip curled as he pointed accusingly at me. There was a collective gasp from the room and men ruffled. My hands were trembling slightly as my fingers kept tracing the swirls in the arms of my throne. “It was her! Witch! Evil-”

    “My wife.” Philip sounded stony cold. “By deeming her a witch and evil does not exactly help you get back in my favor…What reason would she have to frame you?” Philip glanced at my ghostly pale and drawn in face, he frowned for a second before glowering back at the Duc.

    “Her and my wife, Your Majesty.” The Duc cleared his throat as he controlled his rage. “Plotting and scheming to get me out of the way so she can get her sons back…It-yes! It all makes sense now."

    Philip sighed and I could tell that he was not prepared to hear much more of this. “You are on trial for treason and I strip you of all your titles. It would not surprise me at all that you are a traitor as you have done nothing but insult me the last month. I have been lenient as we are family but no more.” He was shaking his head coldly. “No more, men.” He glanced at the men that were surely about to give their verdict. “How do you find-”

    “This is not a fair trial!” The Duc began to protest. “This is not fair! This is not how they are conduct-”

    “Silence or I will kill you where you stand.” Philip roared making me cower in my seat. He inclined his head back to the other men. Each, who were wearing red cloaks all declared the Duc de Toures as guilty of treason. Guilty guilty guilty. Oh no. The punishment for treason was death, what had Agate done? I had warned her but she had not heeded my advice. We would both have to live with his death burning at the back of our minds for the rest of our lives. “Death by the blade it seems.” Philip almost mused as his dark eyes bored down at the poor Duc. I thought that I might be ill and kept a hand firmly pressed to my stomach. “Take him away and arrange for execution in three days time.” He dismissed us all and I passed by the men including the Duc in a hurry.

    “Bitch.” He screamed and I heard the thumps as the guards beat him to silence.

    I grabbed Agate’s arm with force dragging her off to a private room and had a hard time controlling my voice, “we’ve killed him! You damned fool Agate why would you forge a letter?”

    She crossed her arms over her chest defensively, “I had to ensure that he would be completely out of the picture.”

   “Are you crazy?” Her face was so calm but I could see the cracks formulating in her composure. She was just as tense about this as I was. “We will both surely go to Hell for this you know that right? We will be damned to all hellfire for eternity. We-” I broke off as I was gasping desperately, trying with all my might to catch my breath before I fainted. “He knew it as well. He screamed it out in front of everyone although they did not believe a word of it. It was sickening. You’re sickening!”

    I was sobbing now, not dainty little tears but racking, petrified sobs that shook right through me. Agate was nearly crying as well. “I had to!”

    “He called me a bitch and a witch and evil!”

    She let out a shaky breath as if that was a good thing. “That is treason as well, Anna. He would have been done for treason anyway.”

    “He would not have said it at all if you hadn’t have forged the damned letter in the first place.”

    “I know I know!” She was crying too. “I got carried away and took it too far. It was as if I was possessed. I am sorry, so so sorry.”

    I sniffed, wiping the tears away from my eyes and cheeks. “We are going to have to take this secret to the grave with us, you know that Agate. Three days time he will be-be executed and we are to forget all about him alright? We will move forward and not mention this ever again.”

    “I understand,” she nodded limply, “thank you. You are truly the dearest and most loving friend that I have ever had. I would be honored to call you my sister.”

    “I am not sure I would be able to return the compliment.” I snapped before rushing passed her and storming away. I felt absolutely disgusted and revolted at myself. I should never have let her lead me into her dark vengeance to begin with.

 ******

    I was stood at my rightful place beside Philip outside where the Duc was read out his charge and then forced to get on his knees and bow his head. Philip reached out, lacing his fingers with mine. My eyes welled up with tears that I absolutely refused to let fall. Eyes glanced from the clock and then the executioner who was a skilled man readied his sword. The tendons in my neck were taught and my breath caught in my throat, in a swift sailing action the sword was swung and the Duc’s head flopped pathetically onto the wooden stage.

    I stared, transfixed and mortified as the innards of his neck were on display. The crowd was cheering happily, one less traitorous bastard for them. Turning swiftly Philip and I were the first to leave the scene. As we left the ominous dong of twelve o’clock midday rang out. Timed as always, the execution was all about satisfying and thrilling the public.