Prologue

I hear the bell ring loudly as it dismisses my classmates.  Their voices, while familiar, not the focus of my attention. I was reading my magazine. What I saw in it made me freeze up, but in the good way.

"Sword Art Online is out of beta and finally open to the public!"

I was not the kind of person to have paid as much attention to this as some, but considering I finally convinced my father to let me have a nerve gear. Not to mention I had heard good things from the beta-testers about SAO. It was the go to game. The game, if I didn't hurry my sorry ass to the gaming store, I would not be able to get a copy.

I darted to my feet, grabbing my back pack, and practically sprinting out of the classroom. I guess I couldn't control my excitement. I exited the school, and ran as fast and my feet would carry me to the store. I shouldn't be surprised, but there was a long line already beating me there.

The funny thing is I saw all types of people lined up for Sword Art Online. Men,woman,the young and the old, peoour of all color,races, and backgrounds were in the line. If you think about it, you can see the why. With the introduction of virtual reality games, you can escape from your own life, and make your own. Be whoever you want, act how you please, and take a break from the bothers you live with in your daily lives.

What was bothering me was how long the line was. I felt like I was a slug getting in and slowly progressing.  

It was here however I felt a tap on my shoulder, I turn around to the person who wanted my attention.

"Yo! this is quite a long fucking line,don't ya think?" They said to me.

It was a slim and tall male, didn't look all that special. He had brown hair and blue eyes, wearing a simple golden T-shirt and black pants and shoes. He was rather pale, probably didn't get out that much.  he looked older then me, maybe 22, I was 15

"Yea... a line this is indeed." I say with a sarcastic tone, smiling a bit.

The man grinned at me, glad to behaving a conversation.

"The name is Zack, my buddy Cody was a beta tester, so he let me know when the game was coming out."

"A beta tester?" I said, my voice surprised.

"Hell yea! He said this game was beyond his wildest imagination! I just couldn't help myself but see what he was talking about."

"Yea, this game seems like the next big hit, and we haven't even played it yet."

Zack looked excited, but he tried hard to keep his cool. I don't blame him at all. From what I heard, Kayaba, the creator of SAO,poured his heart and soul into the game. It's like there is nothing wrong with the game in the first place.

"Say, what is your name?" Zack blurted out to me.

"Huh? O-oh..My name is Joshua. But you can call me Josh." I said taking a bow playfully.

"Hey now! you don't need to bow ya know." He said

He was pretty much was my conversation for the whole line. We talked about a lot of things, considering we had time to kill in the line. We talked about jokes, stories, and other games that weren't VR. By the time we finally got up to the booth were they were handing the game out, the sun was starting to set.

"Oh, hey Josh! your next!" he yelled with excitement. 

I walk up to the booth, there was a single worker there, a girl. Defiantly older, in their 30's at minimum. On the table were the last two copies of Sword Art Online, neatly stacked on top of each other. My heart almost stopped when I saw them.

"Name and pre-order code please." She said to me formally with a smile.

"U-um...Joshua, code A-3-7-C-Z" I say, my eyes on the game as she picked it up, checking what I said to her in a big blue binder.

"Hmm...lets see...Uh huh...Yep, your one the list." She says, handing me my copy.

I take it and just stare in awe. The box art was very pretty. I could not believe it. I was holding the game! I was holding Sword Art Online!

"Thank you very much Miss." I said, grateful I was able to get a copy of the game at long last.

I take a step aside and let Zack get his copy.

At long last, Zack and I grin at each other, giggling as we tap our game cases against one another, as if they were shots in a bar.

"About damn time, huh Josh?"

"Yea...I cant wait to play this game! But I'll have to talk to my Dad first..."

"Why's that?" Zack asked, his eyes curious.

"Don't worry about it." I tell him, bearing a fake smile.

"Heh, alright...say, what will your username be,huh? Mine will be Zinshaw, so don't be afraid to meet up with me,got it?"

"My username? Um...I'm not sure yet." I say a bit embarrassed.

"Hey, its fine dude! No harm in not having a clue yet. Just send me a friend request once you log on." He said, turning around.

"See ya on the flip side."

"See ya there, Zack!" I tell him, waving as he walked the other way.

"What do you mean you're sold out?!" 

I turn around to the booth, a girl looking frustrated.

"I'm sorry Miss, those two were the last to get copies, I'm afraid you'll have to wait to get your copy." The lady said, her nice smile lost.

The girl stormed off looking like they had lost the lottery. I simply take a sigh of relief, glad I wasn't her.

I took a moment to look up into the orange sky, the clouds were pink, looking a lot like cotton candy, it was pretty to look at. I wondered if that could really be recreated in a virtual world. Was it really no longer a dream? I guess there was really only  one way to find out.

I take a sigh and began to walk home, firmly holding Sword Art Online in my hand.