Chapter 1: Reality's Ignorance

Nighttime had settled itself when I finally returned to my home. My father's house was just about as boring as a old man's house could get. But hey, I gotta stay somewhere. But I never did get my dad. Don't get me wrong, I love him to death, but he always had the need to hold onto the past.

I unlock the door and walk in, kicking my shoes off at where we left our shoes, them landing right where they always would.

"Your late Joshua..." A voice called to me.

I sigh, looking to the left in the living room. And sure enough, there he was, watching television from his favorite recliner. My dad was in his Mid-50's, with a buzz cut for his dark toned head. Well, his entire body was really dark actually, considering he was always out working construction, he made the darkest tan out of anyone. his body was also reaching the point where I worry about him. But somehow, he always pushed himself, but he has to to make a living.

"Yea...sorry Dad, the line for that game was fa-"

"You know I don't want you coming home this late, I don't care if it's for this 'Virtual Reality' game you nagged me about." He scolded.

"Again, sorry, I told you the game was the biggest thing in gaming history. And to be honest, the split second I walked in the line, people already gathered behind me. I had to stay and get it." I said to him.

He took a sigh, the kind where you know they didn't want to hear any excuses. My father rose from his throne, and approached me, him standing a whole foot taller then me, making me look up like a slave to his master.

"Let me see the game case." He demanded, his hand out in front of me.

I hand him the case, him turning it in his grip as he observed it. I get upset when I see him frown. He returns the case to me.

"I'll be honest with you, that game looks stupid, why not get one of those war VR's so you can join the military?"

I frown this time.

"Because I don't want to be in the army! Not to mention I have never shot anything before, and FPS VR's are not available yet anyway, even if I wanted to!" I speak with a hint of intolerance for my dad's lack of understanding.

"Don't give me any of that attitude boy!" My dad yelled. I froze up a bit.

"...My bad. Sorry." I say, turning.

I don't think I will ever forget the face my dad made when I looked back. It had a hint of disappointment.  But mostly the face of hurt. My dad did not like to yell at me, he was only trying to make sure I was ready for the real world. I appreciated that, but I was only 15. It's not like world war 4 would happen if I didn't listen to him. I wanted to live my youth the way I wanted to. 

I storm off to my room, it rather large for the size of the home. It's enough to fit my old bunk bed, my super computer I liked to call "The VRSC" Or Virtual Reality Super Computer. It was that computer desk I saw my brand new nerve gear,it  a blue,grey-ish color.  I set my book bag down by my bed. setting my new game on the bed.

I took a moment to change into my pajamas, and stroll to my window. It just so happened that the little white ball called the moon was full tonight. I drift into my head as I wonder how Sword Art Online will be. Was I excited? Hell yea I was. But was I scared? Yea.  Anyone would be. At least, that's what I'd like to imagine. We'd be in real combat, actually having to wield a sword and swing it around, rather then just hit a few buttons on a controller. It was going to be a pain in the ass, but I knew I'd get the hang of it eventually. After all, while I never learned kendo, I did have a toy sword I would practice with when I was younger. So I don't think I'll be all that bad.

For now, I took a moment to look at my mirror, figuring why not.

I had dark brown hair that was in a styled bowl cut. Having near black eyes, it always seemed like I was of no color. No exciting yellow hair or sapphire and emerald eyes. Boring old me got the boring old stuff. 

After the self-check to use the nerve gear, I finally take Sword Art Online out of its case, and insert it into the headset. Once that step was complete, I make sure to plug in the power chord and the Ethernet chord. I had a feeling going wireless would be wishful thinking. 

At long last, the moment of truth. I slowly lay down on my bed, the lamp on my nightstand still on as I slide the nerve gear onto my head. I was surprised at how light it was, I was under the idea it was a few pounds. Everything seemed quiet now, it made me nervous. 

But I close my eyes, there was no reason to sit around anymore. It was time to sign up for SAO. 

"Link start!"