Chapter 25: The Dance of Red Swordsman

Once the timer went off, there was absolutely no words spoken whatsoever. No mutter, whispers, nothing of the sort. Only silence as I began to run to the left of me. Heathcliff was a mystery to me. I knew almost nothing about him other then his name, level, and equipment. And of course his Holy Sword skill. And chances are he knew as much of me as I knew of him. This could be a very hard one for me to win.

But all he did was stare at me. Like some god figure. There was no more time to waste. I darted his way, taking a swing at his side. But as I figured would happen, his huge shield slide in the way, blocking my sword. And with a hefty push, he sent me flying back. I rolled over back onto my back. Growling more at myself that I didn't see that coming. But I sure as hell saw him, charging at me like the tank he was. I prep my sword in hand, trying to figure out where he plans to attack me. And as I predicted, his sword came at me from my left.  I blocked his sword, the sound of clashing metal echoed trough the stadium, and sounds of the audience revitalized and the tension in the air grew thicker.  

But then it hit me. His shield slammed into the side of my head, once again sending me back a ways into the side of the arena. I lost the air I had in my lungs as I landed onto my stomach. My health was beginning to actually go down from how hard he was throwing me around. I can't let him toy with me!

"Do you give up yet Josh?" He asked as he began to stride my way. 

I grabbed my sword from the floor as I got up from the floor, and back up on my feet. The roars of the crowd grew louder. Rooting for me.

"Sorry Heathcliff, but if I let myself go down by your shield, then the people here won't get what they paid for. So instead of going down..." I began as I span my sword around, a yellow tint going around it as I charged up my sword skill. 

"I'll make sure I take YOU down!" I finished, jumping over quickly to his side. To other people, all they would be able to see is my after image fade away. I bolted to Heathcliff, he was able to turn around just in time to block my sword, however he had to actually stand his ground this time as I tried to push even harder. It was an honest to god power struggle and the two of us were trying to out do the other. And this showed the audience that despite being the strongest player, I actually stood a chance against him.  

It wasn't until Heathcliff finally pulled his shield out from under me that the two of us became free. I stumbled, but was able to regain my balance and I turned back to face him.

He was looking right back at me. His sword at his side as his shield was up and ready. Something I noticed is he tends to flip flop what he used to actually strike me with. First it was his sword when he blocked me, then his shield when I blocked his sword.

I kept a mental note of this as my next sword skill was ready to go. And I once again charged at him. I swung my sword at an angle that when my sword hit his shield, it bounced off the shield and slams into the incoming sword. Exactly as I predicted. He bore the brief face of of shock, and I glance at him with a large grin on my face.

I quickly took this moment to spin around in place with my sword to strike the side of the shield. It was connected to his arm, so it sent the shield and his arm towards his sword hand at an awkward angle. It was then the crowd came to realize that I had made the perfect opening to strike the strongest player in all of Aincrad down! And I didn't waste the chance as I took one final swing for his head.  

At least, that was what I was expecting to happen.

Suddenly, with no warning, my blade was stopped by his shield. In what I could only describe as in the blink of an eye, he moved his shield to save himself. But how!? I didn't have time to answer my own question as before I knew it, his blade stabbed me deeply in my shoulder. And I was sent flying across the arena for the last time. 

I was already in red health as the icon appeared stating Heathcliff's victory.  And the audience that had cheered me on from the outside rooted for him without a second thought. 

I sat up from my spot on the ground, glancing up at them, taking a deep breath as I accepted my fate. But as I looked at Heathcliff, I noticed he was looking at me. With a defiant look in his eyes. He turned and walked away before I got the chance to say anything.

I staggered back up onto my feet, and brushed the sandy dust off of me. Before I waved at the audiance. The all got louder as I acknowledged them. Unlike Heathcliff, who simply disappeared into the back of the areana. And I would follow suit. Only to find a certain Midnight leaning against the wall as I walked back in.

"Well, that could have gone better for you." She remarked.

"Tch...yea, you can say that again." I say with a playful smile.

"You know, there was a breif moment where I thought you'd won. But then before I knew it...you were on the ground. It was quite odd." She pointed out.

Ya know, come to think of it, she has one hell of a point. He moved his sheild way to quickly. No way in hell could he could have blocked me last attack. The only person who could have was Connor, because he had the fastest reaction time. What on Earth happened out there...?

"Joshie?!" A familiar voice rang trough the hall of the areana, spooking me and Midnight.

...Aw crap.