Chapter 9: Hospitalized

It has been too long since SAO was realised. All 10,000 players would not last much longer on their own. In order to ensure their lives would not be in stake while they attempted to clear the game, the United Nations funded all hospitals with the means of providing for those who were trapped in the digital prison. 

They all were given life support. They were to be feed by tubes. They were to be kept in one room, at all times, and only family members or doctors were to enter. Someone was always on the job, ensuring no one would be put in immediate danger. 27-7,7 days a week. 

"Hello...? ....W-what?! ....Are you serious?? Then wh-....oh...but can't I just yank that fucking thing off his head? ....NO?! Then what am I supposed to do?! Watch my son's life here slowly get lost in a fucking videogame?! Is that-............I-i'm sorry....uh huh...Y-yea...Ok..765 Water Road...ok, I'll have him ready by then....ok....please don't let him die on me...thank you...okay...bye..."

Josh's Father sat in a chair in the waiting room, fiddling with his thumbs. He had just gotten a call only an hour ago. It explained everything about this "Game" that kidnapped his dearest son. Now he had to wait, for reasons he didn't know.

The sliding door opened to his left. He stood up immediately. It was Dr. Lucho, the family doctor.

"Doc...tell me..is he-"

"He is fine Robert. We have him on life support. He won't die by natural causes." He assured him. He felt a weight come off his chest. At least he wouldn't die soon.

"We actually got lucky, considering your son is a bit overweight. He can live off his own fat and life support." He continued.

"I see...so being lazy did at least some good for him." He said

"Lucho..may I see him?"

"Of course...but don't expect much. He will be in a vegetable like state." Dr.Lucho warned him.

The two went back to where Lucho had come in. They weaved through a few halls until they stopped in front of the room Josh was in.

"I have other people I need to give life support...so I apologize I can't join you."

"No, it's okay...I-I understand." Robert said under his breath as he opened the door. He walked into the room, looking back as Lucho walked off, his hands in his pockets. He shut the door, looking at the bed.

Josh's hair had grown out by a large margin, it spread across the pillow his head laid on. His body was stiff, looking like it was made of plastic in a way. And the damned machine attached to his head, lights flickering on the side. He was in a hospital gown, his skin almost matching with how pale he was.

His father slowly walked in, and took a seat, his face grayed with horror of his son's condition. He stared for a long while, unable to say anything.

Finally, he managed to stomach up something to say.

"...Hey Joshua...it's me..your dad, obviously. I heard about what happened to you...it was devastating for the family to hear. Scared the shit out of them, really. Hell, I didn't even know what was going on because..I forgot to pay the fucking cable bill again. Thankfully Lucho called...or otherwise...I may have thought the worst had happened to you. ...So...'Sword Art Online.' right? ...I may not know this whole video gaming business like you...but I saw some pretty scary monsters on that cover. I hope you don't have to fight them...but that's just my wishful thinking. Knowing you, you'll go in like the dumbass you can be sometimes, and try to take a boss on yourself. You always tried that when you first played that one game. But don't risk anything. Try to...I don't know...play smart. You know what you need to do, right? They said you need to beat all the floors? Something like that...I know you're the kind of kid that's foolish enough to make that happen."

He paused for a moment, trying to hold back his tears.

"S-so...I guess I owe you an apology,huh? I always told you to get off those damned video games. Telling shit like they will be the end of you one day...I was just joking when I said that...Now, this one time..I want you to own this game. Make sure your strong, and that you never give up, OK? Don't even think about dying in there...not until you open your eyes.."

He looked up at the light above his son.

"...and see that light blind your eyes as we all welcome you back to Earth." 

He stood, and kissed his son on the forehead.

"I love you Josh...go get em tiger!"

He slowly turned, and exited the room, locking the door behind him.

Some time had passed.

The window was open, and the breeze flooded the room as it turned night in the hospital. A single pink pedal rode the wind into the room Josh was in. It swam in the air till it landed on the dresser beside the bed.  The gusts then pushed it unto Josh's chest. 

And it stayed there, as his breathing caused it to rise, and fall.