Chapter 16: She who Walks in Shadows

Everyone watched with shock as Josh slammed into the ground. The floor boss has lost all control, sprinting around the platform, trying to kill the other players. But the attacking groups fought back, trying to give Heathcliff, Midnight and Mira enough time to come up with a plan.

"Everyone! Fight defensively, and only attack if there is a wide opening! We need to think of a plan for this sudden change in attack patterns!" Heathcliff ordered.

He turned his head back to Midnight.

"Miss Midnight, please protect Josh for as long as you can until we can come up with a plan. And heal him if you can."

Midnight nodded, running to him, The Arax  screeching at everyone in a mighty rage, slamming its abdomen into three players of the attack group.

One of them vanished into fragments.

Mira healed the other two, holding off the Atrax with Heathcliff to buy the rest of the attack squad time to regroup. The backup could only watch and strike when their safety would not be threatened.

Midnight slid to the side of the Red Swordsmen, taking him in her arms.

"Shadow Shroud." She whispered, holding him as her shadow glows faintly, surrounding the floor around them. They sunk into her own shadow, vanishing from view, and untouchable.

Midnight was one of the few players with a special skill. Her skill was called Shadow, it allows her to hide away in her shadow, as well as other shadows. There are three versions she can use. Shadow Leap, letting her travel between shadows, Shadow Block, Letting her use her shadow to block a attack, and Shadow Shroud, letting her become undetectable to monsters, and can bring one player in the shadow.

While she is hidden in shadows, it is like they are underwater, floating in a black space, the only light coming from above, the roof of the boss room visible.

She took out a healing crystal, using it on Josh, bringing his HP to the green. But he was still out. She sighed, looking up from deep within, the faint sound of fighting, and screams of others coming from outside.

The only catch to her special skill is that she can only use it for 20 minutes, then it was to recharge for 30 minutes. She was five minutes in. And Josh just floated in the space, limp.

She gazed at him, feeling bad for him. He couldn't have known the boss would have changed attack patterns then of all times. She gently moved his way, holding him so he didn't float away from her.

"Josh-san...please wake up! We need you." She asked calmly.

But he didn't move a muscle. The screech of the spider monster could be heard from outside Midnight's shadow.

---------------

Mira turned as she saw a player get thrown back by the Atrax, it running to her now.

"Tch.." She charged a sword skill, and weaved her way through the crowd to get in front. The two were on a collision course. But at the last moment, Mira moved to the left, striking her rapier into the spider's leg, managing to  injure it to where the Royal Atrax slipped, rolling into a wall as that leg Mira damaged glowed red. Heathcliff ran to it.

"Good work lady!" A bystander yelled. She looked at them, smiling somewhat, but she turned her attention to where the black circle Midnight and Josh were hidden.

What is taking him so long...? She thought.

"MIRA!" Heathcliff's voice rang out. Mira quickly turned, only to be struck by webbing fired from the Atrax. She yelled out in pain. Heathcliff was still holding off the Atrax, everyone else trying to help him. Mira was helped by another group.

---------------

"Huh?" Midnight looked up from where she was as she heard a cry of agony.

"...Mira?!" She yelled, a sudden chill of worry filling her.

But she felt Josh move somewhat.

And as she glanced to see him, his eyes darted open, them glitching from brown to red as he responded to hearing his friend yell out in pain.