Chapter 6: The Silver Wolves

I walked into the Inn Athena told me to meet Zinshaw and Kaleb. It has been three weeks since my victory over the first boss. But now that people had seen that it was possible first hand, they had finally relighted the fire in themselves. We were already to floor 27. I was amazed at what we as humans can do. But of course I wasn't going to let them show me up.

I was level 51 and I had beaten seven floor bosses.  By now I knew what play style I had. One-handed, no shield. It was simple, but it worked for me. 

I sat at the table where Athena was, and sure enough, Zinshaw and Kaleb came out from a room. They were accompanied by Theodore, whose muscles were way to big. And Alice, whose breasts were way to big. They all took a seat at the table.

"Whats going on Joshua? We missed you." Zinshaw said, his face filled with regret. He looked at me, and then away, Kaleb facing me.

"I'm sorry Joshua, it was me who told Zinshaw that we couldn't wait for you. I said that if we wanted to see you, we had to become strong. So we have been fighting hard for survival ever since." Kaleb exclaimed. 

"It's ok...it was the same for me." I reply.

They gave me their stories of their lives on SAO. Despite the struggles, they made sure the group they had formed would not break. In order to ensure this, Kaleb decided to form a guild: The Silver Wolves.

"Joshua, we want you to be a part of the guild."  Zinshaw said.

I blinked for a moment. I knew that these guys did regret not finding me sooner, but at the same time, I felt like I didn't belong with them anymore. To be honest, I was much stronger then them. Kaleb was only level 43, the rest of them under 38. I feel like now if I joined, the progress they had made would be halted because they would rely on me.

"So Joshua." Theodore began.
"I was wondering what level you are? I know its rude to ask, bu-"

"I'm level 51!" I blurted out.

The group looked at me in surprise. Even Kaleb gave a look of astonishment. His expression had changed to be proud of me.

"Wow Joshua, you really have come a long way,huh? You even out level me."

"Y-you are level 51?!" Athena asked.

"How are you so high a level?" She asked.

"W-well...I just been grinding hardcore really, there's no special trick I can give." I explain.

"Oh...and yes, it would be my honor to be a part of your guild." I state with a smile.

We all raised a cup in cheers. It was about time I got more social anyway. Sure, my sorry ass was stuck in the hell, but it doesn't have to be like that. I smile at everyone as I was politely welcomed to The Silver Wolves.

Kaleb explained to me that while I was in their guild, I was still allowed to do as I wanted. That was fine with me. Taking advantage of that, when it turned dark and everyone went asleep, I snuck out of the inn to train. By the end of it I was level 57. I guess breaking the late night grind habit wasn't gonna be a over night fix.

It was here I hear a step behind me. Out of reflex, I charge a sword skill and look back behind me.

It was Athena. I dismiss my skill and stared at her for a brief moment. She was in battle gear.  She had a short sword and shield. She was level 34, the weakest member of the group. So what was she doing out here?

"A-ahh!" She yelled in surprise as I stop my sword.

"A-athena?! What are yo-"

She had quickly regained her composure and looked at my eyes.

"What a-are you doing out h-here...? I can't believe your training out here so late J-joshua... " She began.

"...Please don't come out here alone.." She said shyly, hiding her red cheeks behind her hair.

"Athena...I have to, or else I can't be the levels I need to be to get everyone out of here.  It is my respons-"

"B-but Joshua..." She interrupted. Her eyes had a worried expression upon them. 

"Its not just your responsibility you know...its everyone's. Me, you, Kaleb, Theo, Zinshaw, and Alice. And all the other SAO players. We...we all share that responsibility."

She looked to the side, kicking the dirt with her feet lightly, creating a small bit of dust in the air. I stared at her for the longest time, trying to ensure I came up with the right words.

"Listen... I know you all are worried about me being solo, but I can handle myself just fine. It's not like I'm going to die easy. Besides. I am one of the top players, I have to do this Athena...I'm sorry if that upsets you. I do care about the silver wolves. It's just...my place isn't with you guys."

Athena gave me a sad expression, looking as if she could cry. I was about to say something, but she walked back to the inn.  I waited for a while, not wanting to walk with her to make the moment more awkward. Once she was off, I teleported back to the inn, it being deep into the night by then.

What I was not ready for as I walked in. Was Alice, sitting on the inn's couch waiting for me.