Chapter 20: The Dragon Slayer, and His Smith

I glanced around myself as I walked down the snow covered track. I was still on the 55th floor, but off to the western mountains, where it looked a hell of a lot like winter. I did take the time to restock on my items and such, so I was feeling pretty good about this. After all, the cooler air helps me. I never truly understood how people can like being warm. You can't control being warm. But if it's cold, you can just bundle yourself up.

I heard a light sneeze behind me. I turn my head back.

"You did know this was a frigid wasteland, right?" I ask teasingly.

Lisbeth was behind me, holding her arms to conserve what little warmth she was able to keep. She had equipped armor, unlike our first meeting, but it wasn't really helping her stay warm. We were on our way to the location of the dragon. The dragon that apparently holds a super rare metal in its belly. Nice to know where I'm gonna be focusing my sword at.

"I-I didn't know it would be like this from the teleport plaza!" Lisbeth replied annoyed.

I frown somewhat. She wasn't taking the cold as well as I was. She doesn't even have pants! She just had her uniform to keep her warm. So I take a light sigh as I stop. I slide my coat off my body, the warmth escaping me sadly. I toss it to Lisbeth, the hood hugging her head as it hanged from her, sliding into position on its own. Lisbeth stared at me for a brief moment, looking shocked more than thankful.

"Josh? Are you going to be fine without it?" She asked, her tone giving off a hint of worry. I simply smile, adjusting the light jacket I had on.

"It's not a big deal, I'm used to the cold. I like it if anything. And I just can't stand seeing you so miserable. Besides...I'm pretty disciplined." I tell her playfully, resuming my march to the lair.

Lisbeth's eyes narrowed unto me.

"Annoying, till the end..." She sighed.

But as she walked again, she noticed the warmth that lingered from me. She tucked her arms under, while annoyed, was glad to be warmer.

To think I actually agreed to come with...meeting this guy has been a turn of events. She thought.

"Hello? Lisbeth? We're almost there!" I yelled at her from a distance. She blinked as she came back to me.

"I know! And if you're going to be like that, you may as well just call me Lis." She scolds.

"Sure, rolls off the tongue quicker." I reply.

I can hear a light growl escape her lips.

After a more silent walk, the snow began to fall again. I could feel it lightly land unto my head as we came to the end of the walk way. It was covered with crystals, all about the snow plain, as if it was grass here. I here Lisbeth gasp in pure astonishment. I glance over to see her bear the largest grin I've yet to see her wear. She was like a child in this moment, looking around excitedly.

She was about to venture on her own, but I grabbed the hood of the coat before she could, Lisbeth slowing to a stop, turning on her heel to look at me with the usual annoyed look.

"H-hey! What's the big idea?" She snickered.

"Were here Lis. That dragon could be waiting for us for all we know. So get a teleport crystal ready, will ya?" I ask of her.

She stares into my eyes before pulling one out of the sleeve of my coat.

"Also...if you don't mind, I would prefer to handle the Dova on my own." I continue, resting my palm on my sword's hilt.

"D-Dova...?" She asked. Immediately shaking her head.

"Why on your own? I'm not a weakling, I can help you fight!" She says rather boldly.