Chapter 23: You and I

I slowly drifted into a deep sleep alongside Athena. I always never knew weather or not I was in a dream mainly cause the transition from being awake and being asleep just...kinda happens. I never really knew, making it hard to be a lucid dreamer. I dream in phases, where one sequence will play out, then a completely different and random dream would start. But then I would replay a dream as well. It always depended on weather or not I wanted to replay that dream though. So...I guess I can replay dreams?

Tonight was no different. It was filled of random dream sequences that made literally no sense to me. At least, I thought tonight would be another bunch on bizarre dreams. I actually had a moment where I was standing in what seemed like a forest. I looked down at my hand. Looks like I had control of this one!

"Josh!?" A voice in the distance called out.

My eyes glanced over to the origin of the voice.

It was Athena. Her smile was bright, even from as far as she was from me. I smile from it, waving excitedly over at her. I began to walk over to her, but then...something was in the way. I hit my head on it, the surface was hard, yet not visible, hence why I didn't know it was there. It was like a wall, keeping me from reaching her. I quickly tried to see if maybe I could go around it, but then I ran into another wall. Went in the other direction. Same thing. A wall I could not see trapped me in a small space.

And kept me away from the girl I loved as the blue sky suddenly went grey. The darks clouds hanged over Athena before surrounded the entire area. A tint of red shone trough, sending a  chill down my spine.

"Athena!!" I yelled out to her.

She only cocked her head to the aside, holding a piece of her hair to keep it form getting in her face as she looked back at me. Was she able to hear me?

What I saw next was something I didn't want to see.

A large claymore-like sword cut right trough Athena's chest, her gasping in shock, and her eyes dimming quickly. I screamed as I reached for my sword. But it wasn't there. I slammed on the invisible wall, desperately trying to break free from this trap. To save Athena before all the life in her eyes faded.

The sword was pulled out of her, blinding white eyes over Athena's shoulder as she fell unto her side, her HP bar dropping into the red.  All I saw was a wide smile as the figure seemed to start laughing. I was trying to hard, throwing myself into the wall to shatter it, only to no avail.

I saw Athena look at me in pure sorrow as she broke down into bits of data.

"ATHENA!!!!!!"

---------------

My eyes shot open, and I quickly sat up. I was breathing heavily, and I felt beads of sweat on my body. But I also felt a tear run down the side of my face. Thank god it was only a dream...but jeez, that was one that felt to real. 

...Athena!

My eyes shot to the other side of the bed. And there she was...safe in sound, still asleep. I felt a weight off my chest. While I knew now it was only a dream, its these kinds of dreams that make you look back at that person. The person that you love with all your heart.

If I were to lose her to this death game...I...I don't know if I could go back. Back to a time without her. Those nights training all by myself...I can't go back to that. Not again.

"...Athena..."I whispered.  I didn't expect her to hear me. But...I wanted to verbally say this.

"I know I promised to protect you...and I will keep that promise till my health is zero. I love you...I wont lose you to this game."

Never to Sword Art Online...I need to stay strong so I can get her, and all the other players out of the game. And if I'm gonna have the best chance of that...I need to know that secret Heathcliff was talking about. I need to be able to control Crimson Onslaught. It was in that moment that I decided....I would duel him for that knowledge.

I yawned as  looked out the hotel window...it was still late into the night. I guess that whole thing was in real time, as it was only 1 AM. I turn my head back to Athena, I lean down over her, kissing the top of her head softly.

"You and I are in harmony, ya know that...? Two in harmony, surpass one in perfection." I muttered to her. I finally rested again, laying back on the bed, and I pushed my arm under her. So I could spoon Athena as I smelled her hair. It was a fresh, clean smell. Wonder if she showered before I got back...

I felt her body wiggle briefly. I held my breath so if she woke up, she'd just fall right back into her sleepy wonderland. But that didn't work, I heard a quiet squeak form her as she turned to face my way, shoving her face into my chest. Her arms swung over my neck pulling me closer to her. All this while still asleep. I simply wrapped my arms around her waist, kissing her neck a few times before resting my head on the pillow.

What gets me is her warmth. The warmth of her body. I loved feeling her bare skin because of how warm she gets. Her warmth is more then enough to dull my senses, and put me back into a calm sleep. I did not have any nightmares for the remainder of the night.

And the two of us slept soundly for the rest of the night.  And as the sun rose, and my eyes opened, I found Athena completely over me, still asleep.

Guess I'll have to wait a while before I can get ready for the day...