Chapter 2: The First Step

The next morning, after getting up and eating breakfast, Skyler and Dante went to their lockers and got all the necessary equipment out. Skyler got out his weapon and Dante his. Dante's weapons were two one-handed axes that he clipped to his sides while Skyler clipped his weapon to his side.

However, Dante wasn't focused on his weapons...

"You're not gonna talk to her yet? What, too shy?"

"I really don't want to talk about this with you."

Dante would not stop bugging him about that black-haired girl. Skyler was actually starting to consider just ignoring the girl from that point on just to shut Dante up.

"Yeah. You're shy."

"Just shut up. We better get to initiation."

As they walked off, Dante smirked, "You realize I'm not gonna stop talking about this, right?"

"Sadly, yes..."
_______________________________
"My dear sister, Yang," Ruby accused, "Are you implying you do not wish to be on the same team as me?!"

Yang began to panic, "What? No! Of course I do! I just thought... I don't know, maybe it would help you... break out of your shell!"

"What the-?! I don't need to 'break out of my shell'! That's absolutely ridiculous! That's like me telling Skyler you have a crush on him!"

Ruby slapped a hand over her mouth. Yang's eyes widened... then turned red.

"If you tell him..." Yang whispered menacingly, "Then so help me..."

Ruby gulped and nodded. It hadn't taken much for her to learn about Yang's crush on Skyler. While Yang had played the act of the girl who flirted with every boy, she only had her eyes set on one: Skyler. With the added bonus that he was good on the eyes, his personality was what created the crush. He was a mature guy, but acted silly and smart-alecky when he wanted to. He was also the only boy, to Yang's knowledge, that had not become a victim of her flirting.

When Yang and Skyler became friends, Yang realized she needed to hide her crush on him, which she did successfully. She still flirted, hoping he might ask her out, or at the very least get a hint! But that didn't work... But despite her keeping that secret from everyone else, the one person she could not keep it from was her little sister.

"Sorry..." Ruby squeaked.
_______________________________
After arriving at Beacon Cliff, the students were given a small speech by Ozpin and Glynda.

"For years, you have trained to become warriors," Ozpin said, "And today, your abilities will be evaluated in the Emerald Forest."

"Now," Glynda continued, "I'm sure many of you have heard rumors about the assignment of 'teams'.Well, allow us to put an end to your confusion. Each of you will be given teammates... today."

Skyler raised an eyebrow, but wasn't really that surprised. Though he did hear Ruby whimper a bit a few plates down.

Ozpin then spoke, "These teammates will be with you for the rest of your time here at Beacon. So it is in your best interest to be paired with someone with whom you can work well. That being said, the first person you make eye contact with after landing will be your partner for the next four years."

Skyler's eyes widened. That was pretty big news. And especially for Ruby.

"What?!?!"

"After you've partnered up, make your way to the northern end of the forest. You will meet opposition along the way. Do not hesitate to destroy everything in your path... or you will die."

There were a few gulps of nervousness.

"You will be monitored and graded through the duration of your initiation, but our instructors will not intervene. You will find an abandoned temple at the end of the path containing several relics. Each pair must choose one and return to the top of the cliff. You will guard that item, as well as your standing, and grade you appropriately. Are there any questions?"

The blonde vomit guy from the ship, Jaune, raised his hand, "Yeah, um, sir?"

"Good!" Ozpin interrupted, "Now, take your positions!"

Everyone struck a pose... Except Jaune, whose hand was still raised, "Uh, sir? I've got, um... a question."

Before Skyler could hear the question, he was sent flying. While exhilarating at first, he then experienced free-falling. That's when he pulled out his weapon. He pointed it at the ground and pulled the trigger. Flames burst out of the part of the handle where it connected to the folded blade, slowing his descent.

Skyler landed on the ground without a scratch, brushed his shirt, and started to walk. It wasn't long before he heard yells of joy and he looked up. He saw Yang bursting ahead, using her gauntlets to blast through the treetops. Leave it to Yang to get a head start.

Skyler sped up to a jog. About five minutes later, he heard a thud, like wood splintering. He turned to his left and saw a spear head with a small rope attached to it pinned to a thick tree branch. The next thing he knew, a figure flew towards the branch, under it, then began to accidentally wrap the rest of the rope around the branch before promptly landing on their face in front of Skyler.

The figure was a female with dark skin and brown hair. She groaned a little as Skyler began to clap slowly.

"Nice landing," Skyler smirked.

"Shut up..." the girl rolled onto her back and Skyler offered a hand up, which she gladly took.

She had green eyes and freckles across her face. She walked over to where the rest of her spear was hanging. She grabbed the shaft, pressed a small button on the side, and after looping back around the pole, the tip attached itself back onto the spear, the rope disappearing into the spear.

She turned to Skyler, "So... I guess we're partners now?"

"Apparently," Skyler offered his hand, "Skyler Yin. You?"

She smiled and shook his hand, "Hazel Tikal. Nice to meet you!"

They let go and began walking.

"Wait," Hazel said in realization, "Where are we going?"

Skyler thought about that for a second, "...Crap!"

He had no idea where those relics were.
_______________________________
And that's done! Next time, we get a bit of fighting and a bit of a flashback... Till next time guys!