Chapter 30: End of the Beginning

Skyler managed to make it back to the others okay, but promptly collapsed once he did. He was barely able to keep his eyes open, but he saw Velvet rush over to him and she helped him sit up.

"Thanks," Skyler said, his voice dry.

"Don't talk," Velvet said as she knelt next to him and pointed at the slash mark, "That needs to be treated."

He nodded and looked to his right. His eyes widened as he saw Yang lying there on the ground, unconscious. What was left of her right arm was wrapped in bandages.

Blake was sitting nearby Yang, chanting the same words over and over, "I'm sorry..."

Skyler scooted over next to Yang and held her hand like it was his lifeline. He looked around until he finally saw his team. Hazel was tending to some of Dante's wounds, him wincing when she applied the medicine. Walker was with Coco, keeping an eye out for Grimm. Nora and Ren were sitting on the ground, slightly injured.

Velvet came back with some gauze and wrapped it around Skyler's wound.

"Thanks Velvet," Skyler told her.

"It's the least I could do," Velvet smiled.

Blake just stared at him, "...Why did you fight him?"

Skyler turned to look at her, "Huh?"

"Adam. Why did you fight him? You should've ran."

Skyler frowned, "I wasn't leaving Yang or you behind. Plus, the guy looked about ready to torture you. Maybe worse."

"But why-"

"Does it matter?!" Skyler snapped, "I saved your life, as well as Yang's. If I got hurt, so what?! That's what being a Huntsman is all about: putting others' lives ahead of your own. Especially when it's your friends."

Blake flinched at his sudden outburst. In all of her time at Beacon, she had never seen Skyler so mad, so... broken. It was so out of character for him.

"If only I hadn't flinched..." Skyler muttered, squeezing Yang's hand, "If only I had been faster..."

"Ruby!!"

Skyler looked up and saw Ruby run over, Weiss greeting her. He let out a sigh of relief, thankful she was here now, safe.

"Oh, I found you!" Ruby stated.

"Ruby," Weiss asked, "Where have you-"

"Don't worry, I'm fine!" Ruby assured, "What's going on?"

Unsure of what to say, Weiss lowered her gaze sadly, confusing Ruby, "Weiss? What is it?"

Weiss moved out of the way, showing Ruby the scene behind her. Ruby's eyes widened in horror at the sight.

Ruby reached out and opened her mouth to say something, but in her emotional state, she didn't know what to say, "Yang..."

Sun walked over to her, "Hey. She's gonna be okay. The soldiers have a ship ready to take you guys to Vale."

"But Jaune and Pyrrha are still missing," Nora said, attempting to stand, but quickly sitting back down in pain.

Ruby gasped, "What!?"