Chapter 3: The Emerald Forest

After hearing some gunfire in the distance, Skyler and Hazel decided to head in that direction.

"You sure about this?" Hazel asked.

"Nope," Skyler answered truthfully, "But finding other students is our best bet at this point."

Suddenly, there were rustling noises that caused them both to jump. They pulled out their weapons and stood still. Hazel's head snapped up.

"Behind us!" she yelled.

Not having time to reply, Skyler jumped away with her as a Beowolf jumped out from behind them, narrowly missing its slice. Skyler landed and gasped in surprise.

"How'd you know that?" he asked.

"Semblance," she answered, "It detects danger, but we don't have time for discussions right now."

The Beowolf was about twice the size of a normal one and the outside bones were patterned more sporadically. That meant this was an Alpha Beowolf. And that meant one thing: a pack was nearby.

"We better take out this guy and get out of here," Skyler suggested.

"Good idea."

"I'll burn it as a distraction. You stab it in the back."

"Then?"

The Alpha pounced at them and they separated.

"Improvise!"

Skyler shot out flames at the Alpha, causing it to turn and run after him. The Alpha tried to claw him, but Skyler dodged and shot more flames.

The Alpha howled, but there was a little snikt and the howl cut off. The Alpha turned its head to see that Hazel had stabbed it in the back.

Hazel grinned at it and pressed the button on her spear. The spearhead shot forward, sending the wolf along with it. It slammed into the tree and Hazel swung it around in circles.

It finally ended when the Alpha's head slammed into a tree and Hazel stopped spinning. The wolf landed on the ground with a THUD and disintegrated. Skyler grinned and ran up to her.

"Okay," he commended, "That was awesome!"

Hazel just leaned over, "Ugh... I... I think I'm gonna be sick..."

Skyler chuckled a bit and clapped her on the back, "Yeah, that may be true, but we better get moving. That Alpha's pack is gonna be here soon."

"Right..." Hazel groaned and the two took off.
_______________________________
"So," Hazel said, trying to learn something about her new partner, now that they had escaped the pack, "What was your life like?"

Skyler flinched as unwanted memories began to flood in.
_______________________________
In Skyler's head:

"Skyler! Run!"
"What are you waiting for?!"
"Stop!!!"
"I thought you were my friend!"
_______________________________
In reality:

"I grew up near Patch," Skyler deadpanned, "Nothing happened."

"Sounds boring."

"Yes. It was... So... How about you?"

"Oh, I grew up in Mistral," Hazel said, "I was gonna go to the school there, but I wanted to see new places, so I came to Beacon."

"Oh. That's pretty cool."

"Why do you want to be here?"

"Well... To be honest, at first, I just wanted to fight Grimm. But... ever since the White Fang became basically a terrorist group, I now want to create peace. Between the Faunus and humans that is. In a world like this, we shouldn't really focus on that stuff. It'll eventually tear us apart."

"Wow," Hazel stared at him, impressed, "That's actually pretty noble. But there's one thing I don't know. What's your Semblance?"

Skyler frowned, "I... don't know."

"Wait, really?"

"Yeah... Embarrassing, isn't it?"

"No, not at all! In fact, just the fact that you were accepted even without a Semblance is impressive! Just makes your goal to become a Huntsman all the more interesting."

"Thanks," Skyler smiled, "Besides, all my friends are becoming Huntsmen and Huntresses, so why not go along for the ride?"

Then Skyler spotted something in a clearing. It was small, but noticeable. He walked over and knelt next to it.

"What is it?" Hazel asked as Skyler picked up the object from the ground.

Skyler examined it and his eyes widened. It was a small strand of golden hair.

"Something died."
_______________________________
Truth. Sorry for the short chapter, but next chapter's gonna be crazy. Till next time guys!