Chapter 23: Lessons Learned

The next day, Dante and Walker attended the first of the doubles round, featuring Coco Adel and Yatsuhashi Daichi of Team CFVY vs. Mercury Black and Emerald Sustrai of Team CMEN. By then, the rest of Team SHDW knew of Walker's now-not-so-secret relationship with Coco.

"So... how did you and Coco become a thing anyway?" Dante asked his partner.

"Well..." Walker replied, "We met the day before that Grimm invasion in the library. After the invasion, we saw each other more, and one thing led to another..."

"And next thing you know, you two are making out in our dorm room," Dante teased.

"You'll understand once you hook up with Hazel."

"Will you guys shut up about that?!"

"You make it too easy!"

They directed their attention back to the arena though, when the time came to begin the match. I want to say it started off well enough, but... not really. At first, it was Mercury vs. Coco and Yatsu (Emerald had disappeared somewhere), but then Emerald's weapon came out of the forest area, grabbing Coco and yanking her into the woods.

Next thing everyone knew, Yatsu was out of aura, and Coco soon joined him, getting kicked out of the forest. And the fight was over.

Walker and Velvet wasted no time on getting up and rushing out to go check on the two. Dante and Fox Alistair looked at each other, worried for their friends. Soon, they got up to join them.
_______________________________
"You'll never beat me, old man!"

"You're nothing but talk, kid!"

"You can do it, Ruby!"

"Yeah, kick his butt!"

Aaaaand Ruby lost the match in Kung Fu Ninja Ultimate Death Battle 2 to Qrow.

"Ouch," Skyler whispered.

"And by the way," Qrow told his niece, "Don't ever call me old."

Yang pushed her sibling out of her spot as she grabbed the spinning controller from the air, "My turn!"

Qrow sat up while the game began again with 'NEW CHALLENGER APPROACHES!', "Now, where was I?"

Ruby popped up from behind the two players excitedly, "You were telling us about your last mission!"

"I was on the edge of my seat!" Skyler said.

"Right, right..." Qrow got back to his story, "I'd come across a small village in the swamps west of Mistral. Right off the bat, I knew something wasn't right."

"What were you doing there?" Skyler asked.

"I needed information. Tired from battling Grimm along the way, I decided to start my search at the town's inn. The place was crawling with lowlifes and thugs, even a few Huntsmen that I could only assume had been hired by less-than reputable people for less-than respectable jobs. And that's when it happened."

"What happened?" Yang asked.

"I was defeated... by the mere sight..." Qrow suddenly grinned, "Of the innkeeper's skirt length!"