Chapter 16: Dance Dance Infiltration

Dance night! And Skyler was alone. Honestly, he wasn't surprised. After his talk with Blake, he had pretty much given up. Now he was sitting in a chair near the punch bowl, Ruby nearby, drinking punch. He had expected to have fun anyway, but nothing eventful had happened yet.

After a few minutes, Jaune walked up and stood next to Ruby, "I see you're hiding at the punch bowl too."

"Yep," she replied.

Jaune raised his glass, "To the socially awkward."

"I can drink to that," Skyler said as Ruby giggled and the three of them clinked their glasses together.

"Sorry things didn't work out with Weiss," Ruby said.

"Meh, it's fine," Jaune shrugged, "Neptune's pretty 'cool'. I get why she went with him.

"What do you mean?" Ruby asked.

"Well, come on," Jaune replied, sipping his punch, "Not many people can pull off blue hair."

"Um, dude?" Skyler put in, "Weiss came to the dance alone."

Jaune choked in surprise, "Uh, what?"

"Yeah," Ruby said, "She said that she had too much to focus on to worry about boys."

Jaune then looked in the direction of Neptune. He was currently laughing it up with Sun and Blake. Jaune's eyes narrowed.

"Hold my punch," Jaune handed Ruby his cup and stalked in Neptune's direction.

Ruby watched him go for a bit before taking a sip out of his cup. Skyler then noticed Jaune change directions and go after Pyrrha. He smirked and Ruby sat down next to him.

"Why are you here alone anyway?" she asked him as she set the cups down.

"Well," Skyler replied, "After Blake rejected me, I guess I decided it was better to go alone than just stay in my dorm."

"Why didn't you ask anyone else?"

"Are you kidding? Who would want to go with me?"

"Yang," Ruby blurted, but then immediately slapped a hand over her mouth.

Skyler looked at her funny, "What?"

"Nothing!" Ruby squeaked.

"No, it wasn't. Did you say Yang?"

Ruby was silent for a moment before replying, "Yeah..."

"Why would she want to come with me?"

"Are you serious?"

"Yes! What do you mean?"

"Yang's been dropping hints like crazy. How have you not noticed?"

"Noticed what?!"

"Yang likes you!"

That shut him up, "...What?"

Ruby stuttered, "P-please don't tell her I said that!"

"She... likes me? Like... in a romantic sense?"

"Yeah."

Skyler then thought about it. His eyes then widened at all the signs. The constant blushing, the shows of affection, like bone-crushing hugs, stuttering, etc. Seriously, Yang could've kissed him on the cheek and he still wouldn't have gotten the clue. He threw his head back and covered his face.

"Ooooooh..." Skyler groaned, "I'm such an idiot..."

Ruby smiled, "Yeah, kinda."

"Now I know what it's like to be Jaune..."