Chapter 17: Field Trip

Team SHDW walked into their room after the dance. They were currently discussing Skyler and Yang's relationship status.

"Remember the days when you were teasing me about Blake?" Skyler asked his team when they got back to the room.

"Yep," Walker said with a grin, "Wouldn't have imagined you and Yang."

"I've been waiting for it since Signal," Dante put in, "Her crush on you was obvious. You were just the only one who didn't see it."

"I get it, I get it," Skyler said, "I'm another Jaune."

"I'd never thought I'd see that comparison," Hazel admitted, "But it fits perfectly."

"So, did you guys go with anyone?" Skyler asked.

"Oh yeah," Hazel replied, "Dante asked me."

"Dante? Like, our Dante? The one right here?"

"Har har har," Dante said, "Nobody asked her, so I thought I'd ask her so she wouldn't feel left out."

Skyler grinned a maniacal grin, "I hope you realize that karma shall be swift."

"What does that mean?" Hazel asked, before quickly realizing what he meant, "NO. You aren't..."

"You tease me about Blake," Skyler replied, "I tease about you two."

Hazel and Dante's faces went completely red. Whether it was out of anger or embarrassment, Skyler wasn't sure.

"What about you Walker?" Skyler asked, "Did you go with anybody?"

"Nope," Walker responded, "Nobody really came to mind on who to ask."

"Dang it. I can't get back at you. Oh well. Can't win them all."
_______________________________
The next morning, all of the students were called to the auditorium for an announcement. After passing by a bag drop station (Skyler could've sworn he saw one of those bags twitch), Team SHDW joined up with Teams RWBY and JNPR.

Glynda then stepped up, "Quiet! Quiet please. Professor Ozpin would like to share a few words before we begin."

Ozpin then made his announcement, "Today we stand together, united. Mistral. Atlas. Vacuo. Vale. The four Kingdoms of Remnant. On this day, nearly eighty years ago, the largest war in recorded history came to an end. It was a war of ignorance, of greed, and of oppression. A war that was about much more than where borders fell or who traded with whom, but about the very idea of individualism itself. We fought for countless reasons, one of which being the destruction of all forms of art and self-expression. And as you are well aware, that was something many could not stand for.

"As a result, those who opposed this tyranny began naming their children after one of the core aspects of art itself: color. It was their way to demonstrate that not only would they refuse to tolerate this oppression, but neither were the generations to come. And it was a trend that is held to this very day. We encourage individuality, expressionism, and unity through diversity.

"As I have said, today we stand together, united. But this bond cannot exist without effort. Which is why today, while the rest of the world celebrates peace, Huntsmen and Huntresses will work to uphold it. As first year students, you will be tasked with shadowing a professional Huntsman or Huntress on a mission.

"Some of you may be taken out of the Kingdom for several days. Others may work within the walls for the rest of the week. But no matter which path you choose, remember to be safe, remember your training, and remember to do your very best."

Ozpin stepped away and as everyone filed out, Ruby got excited, "This is perfect! All we have to do is shadow a Huntsman working in the southeast!

"Yeah!" Yang agreed, "We'll follow them around by day and give them the slip by night!"

She turned to Skyler, "Are you in?"

"Nah, I think me and my team will sit this one out," Skyler answered, "Someone's gotta stay and make sure the school's got extra defense. Plus, I think we've been lacking in the training department. Better safe than sorry."

"I guess he's got a point," Ruby shrugged.

"You girls stay safe!" Hazel gave a salute.

RWBY left to go to the mission board, Yang kissing Skyler on the cheek as she left. It was going to be an interesting few days.
_______________________________
SHDW saw JNPR again later that day, while RWBY about to go on a mission with Profess-Doctor Oobleck.

"Save the world?!" Nora gasped, being dramatic, "They're going on world-saving missions without us? I'm hurt... sad! Maybe a little hungry? That last one's not they're fault, though, Ren...

Ren simply crossed his arms and turned away.

"Sounds exciting," Jaune said, "Are you guys going anywhere?"

"Nah," Dante answered, "We're just staying here to train some more."

"Team RWBY is going to be heading outside the kingdom," Walker brought up.

"Hey!" Nora responded, "So are we!"

"Ren and Nora wanted to shadow the sheriff of a nearby village," Pyrrha said.

"We set out tomorrow," Ren added.

"Well alright then," Skyler said with a smile, "Happy travels!"
_______________________________
Minutes later, the two teams waved as RWBY's airship departed from the school.

"Bye girls!!" Walker yelled.

"Have fun finding the White Fang!!" Hazel added.

"Think they will?" Dante asked, still waving.

"It would take a miracle," Skyler answered before returning to the waving, "Buh-bye!!"
_______________________________
I love references. Next up, I'm writing an original chapter, so it's gonna take a bit longer to finish. Plot points will come up! Maybe. Probably. Till next time guys!