Chapter 13

Hey Guys! Sorry for the late update. I have my mid-semester exams going on.

------------------------------

CHAPTER 13

I stared at my Mom. And stared. And stared some more. I couldn't believe it.

"You're leaving?" My voice no more than a croak.

My Mom was standing in front of me, wringing her hands together, worrying her bottom lip with her teeth, her brows drawn together, a contrite look on her face. 

"Listen, honey," she came closer, stroking my hair as I sat on the bed looking up at her, "We go every year. You know how important it is to me. But if you're anxious or uncomfortable, just say the word and I'll cancel it"

I knew. My Mom didn't live with the pack so she never got to do the usual werewolf stuff, like going for a run, hunting, a full moon pack run. So every year when Mom came to visit, she would always go to their yearly road trip. Where all the werewolves that wanted to go would gather and travel to large forests and jungles, picturesque, beautiful places filled with waterfalls and streams where they would be in touch with their baser instincts. Each year Mom always came with a picture of a different place, as or more breath-taking as the last one. Now, again it was time for her expedition. And she was leaving. On the day with my date with Hunter and his sister.

"It's ok Mom." I sighed, "Don't worry, I'll be fine."

"You're sure?" She still looked worried.

"Yes!" I enunciated as I hugged her. I smiled, "I'll be all right."

I saw as little by little the wrinkles of distress left her face until she beamed at me. My heart squeezed. I loved her so much. Many kids didn't realize it but parents sacrificed a lot for their children. I knew, I had witnessed it first hand. It was small concessions, like not going out with her friends every Friday night, instead staying home and taking care of me, never pushing me past my limits to socialize, always being there for me, never going to live with her pack, her only family since my Mom's parents had kicked her out once she became pregnant with me and my 'dad' was nowhere in the picture, but the pack had taken her in with open arms and for that I will always be utterly grateful to them. 

"I love you Mom." I grinned teasingly, "Go have fun. You have my permission."

She laughed as she hugged me, "Ok. I'll call you whenever we get network, don't worry about Hunter, he's your mate. You'll be just fine with him. And Do. Not. Forget. To. Eat." She warned as I stood up. She gave this exhortation every time she left.

"I won't."

"Ok." she smiled as we reached the door to my room, "Take care of yourself. I love you."

"I love you too." I hugged her one more time before she left the room. 

I closed the door and looked around the room. I exhaled slowly. Time to start preparing. It was already 4 PM. Before leaving my bed this morning, with a kiss that still made my toes curl and my pulse quicken, Hunter had told me to get ready by 7:30 and 'dress formal'. I walked in my closet and looked around. What should I wear. I sighed. I should really take more interest in shopping. I searched for what felt like an eternity until I found a black strapless dress that Mom had given me on my 18th birthday, which I had never worn. I took out black stilettos, black leggings and a little black jacket, the same material as the dress, with a silver zip lining the sides just as it was lining the back of my dress. I looked at the time. It was already 4:30. I hurried into the bathroom to shower and shave.