Chapter 17

Hi Everyone!

First of all, Thank you so much to all the readers who have stuck throughout this book and the slow updates. Secondly, I will try and update more frequently now.

Enjoy!

___________________________________

CHAPTER 17

I typed in another order, as the old lady in front of me continued taking her time to choose a drink to go with her meal. I sighed, today was a long day. It has been a week since I overheard Hunter's conversation with Jace. He never brought it up and I didn't have the nerve to ask about it. Because then we'll have to discuss how I knew it-eavesdropping- and I didn't want to do that. I also came back to the diner. I realized that Hunter was paying for my tuition, but for all my other necessities I didn't want to ask him for money, so back to the diner it was. It was a good thing that Sam couldn't find a replacement soon enough, so I got my old spot back. Thanking the lady with a smile, I moved along to the next customer.

At last, my shift was over. Melissa took over for me and I sat inside the diner waiting for Janet to pick me up. I didn't want a repeat of the last time my ride was late. According to Hunter, I couldn't go anywhere without someone. I had to have at least one person with me at all times outside, something to do with Luna protocol. I didn't really mind. The diner was busy tonight. All the hustle bustle was making me angsty. I looked at the time. it was almost 6. It has been almost 1 hour since I have been done. I pulled my phone out and shot a text to Janet asking her where she was. I got a reply 20 minutes later telling me she fell asleep and is just on her way. I debated on calling Hunter or Jace but brushed it off. I didn't want to get her in trouble.

"Hi!"

I looked up to see a girl standing in front of me. Tall, with brown hair to her waist and sparkling brown eyes. She was wearing shorts showing off her long tanned legs and a tank top.

"Hi..." I answered, looking behind me. Was she talking to me?

"I just saw you sitting here for the past one hour. Did you get stood up too?"

"Umm..No, I'm just waiting for my friend to pick me up. She's running a little late."

"Oh," She chuckled, "Awkward." She sang the word. "I'm Awnya Smith. May I sit?"

"Ariana Sullivan." I smiled, "Sure"

"I was supposed to meet a guy. He's in my English Lit class. Our friends set us up on this date and he didn't show up!" She exclaimed.

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"Oh no, it's fine." She said flippantly, waving her hand, "I know now that he's a douche. I mean he could have just texted me that he wasn't going to come. I wasn't going to force him. Anyway, so what's your story?"

"Are you this friendly with everyone?" I asked chuckling.

"Oh!" She blushed, looking embarrassed now, "Did I come on too strong? I was just-"

"It's fine." I smiled, "I didn't mean to embarrass you. I work here as a cashier and live a little away from here. What about you?"

"I live on campus. A town over, but my folks live here so I'm home for the semester break. Is your family here too?"

"Yes." I nodded.

"So do you go to college?" She asked.

"I don't go, but I am enrolled, yes, I take my classes online."

"Really? What's your major?"

"Biology." I answered, "What's yours?"

She whistled,"Biology? That's gotta be tough. Mine is English Literature."