Chapter 16

CHAPTER 16

I paced back and forth. It had been an hour. I had already changed into my night shirt. Now I was summoning up the nerve to go to Hunter. I knew he was still here. I could feel him. And I knew he could feel my presence too. That's why I was so freaking worried. What if he knew that I had heard his conversation-well more like fight- with Jace? And if yes, then why wasn't he coming in my room? I was really nervous. Was he waiting for me to come to him or had he been that angry that he didn't realize I was eavesdropping? 

Gah! I tugged at my hair. I should really talk to him. He seemed furious with Jace. I should go and comfort him. That's how relationships worked. You had to be there for each other. Hunter's always looking after me. Now I should be the care taker fro a change. I took a deep breath. You can do this Ariana. Come on. With another shuddering breathe I opened the door. Everything was quiet. I couldn't hear a thing. Where was Cassidy? I tip toed, I don't know why, towards the study room. I stood there for a second then knocked. No answer. I again rapped my knuckles twice against the door but still no answer. Just as I was about to knock again his rumble came from inside.

"Come in, Kitten"

I turned the knob slowly and stepped inside. I closed the door behind me and then looked at Hunter. The first thing I noticed was that he wasn't wearing a shirt. His biceps rippling as he moved his fingers over the keyboard of his MacBook. And he sure as heck didn't look angry. He was completely relaxed. The picture of calm serenity. 

"Hi." I said as he still hadn't looked up. He clicked something then shut the laptop. Then he turned towards me. His gaze searing a path of fire straight to my belly, waking up the sleeping butterflies.

"Kitten. Did you need something?" 

I looked at him, perplexed. Thrown by his question. We hadn't seen each other for two weeks. And he was acting like nothing was wrong. It was vexing.

"Umm How are you?" I took a step closer and stood in front of his desk.

"Kitten, I'm busy right now. If there's nothing you need then why don't you go have some dinner and then go to bed?" His off-handed attitude was making me angry. And hurt.

"I ate when I went out with Janet. I'm not hungry." I whispered. Trying to control my anger. I didn't want to get angry.

"Okay. Then I have work to do." He replied curtly. then opened back his laptop. I stared at him, he was pretending like I wasn't there. His eyes glued to the screen.

"Why are you behaving like this?" I asked.

The only reaction was the tick in his jaw, otherwise his expression was set in stone.

"Kitten, I'm busy right now. Why don't you go to your room?" His condescending tone was making me mad. He didn't even look up while speaking.

I balled my hands, "No" 

He stopped. His fingers, my breath, the time, everything stopped. He slowly turned towards me, his gaze smoldering.

"What?" He asked, his voice low.

"I said I'm not going. I want to talk to you. I haven't seen you in almost two weeks. Two weeks Hunter. And you're behaving as if everything's fine. I didn't say anything. Because I thought you'll eventually come and explain the reason of your absence and distance. Then I heard you fighting with Jace. And now that I came here to talk to you, possibly comfort you, you're not even talking to me!" I didn't know my voice had risen. I was close to yelling. I never yelled. All his fault for making me. 

Hunter just looked at me, smirking. He was smirking. I was furious. 

"What do you think is so funny? Stop smiling. Hunter I'm really mad. Stop smiling." I huffed as I folded my arms across my chest. 

"Kitten, Come here." He said, grinning. The sudden change in his appearance sent me into a stupor. I really wanted to kiss him. 

"No." I grumbled as I shook my head.

"Kitten."This time, his tone more serious. The only reason I went was to keep that smile on his face.

I stopped in front of him. He tugged me forward and I went sprawling into his lap. He lifted me up and the settled my sideways so that my back was rising against his arm,and my legs were dangling over the other armrest. He looked at me, his eyes on my lips. He caressed my cheek with his knuckles.

"You know what happened just now, Kitten?" He asked, his husky voice making my breathing labored as his other hand stroked my bare thigh.

"No." I whispered. 

"You got over your fear of me." He didn't let me reply as his lips covered mine. He slanted his lips and invaded my mouth with his tongue. The texture of his tongue was slightly rougher, as he stroked mine. The fire in me was a raging inferno, the tingles shooting in me raced like molten lava through my veins. I moaned as he delved deeper, his tongue touching the roof of my mouth. He dragged his lips to my jaw, leaving searing kisses until he reached my neck. He nipped at my mark, making me whimper at the pleasure pain, then caressed the bite with his tongue. He took the skin in his mouth as he sucked.

"Hunter" I moaned his name as I moved my head till I found his lips and this time I kissed him. But Hunter took over as soon as my tongue stroked his lower lip. He bit my lip, then laved at it with his tongue. He gave my lower lip a good tug before letting go.

I hugged him, my face in the crook of his shoulder, my arms around his neck, as I tried to catch my breathe. We sat like that. I don't know for how long. 

"I wasn't scared of you." I finally broke the silence wth my murmur.

"Yes you were." He replied "But you're not anymore." 

I moved my face and looked up at him. He stroked my cheek with his knuckles. The tenderness in his eyes, I had never seen before. It made my breath catch in my throat.

"I want you to never be afraid of me." He kissed my forehead, "I would never hurt you. Never. I want you to stand up for yourself like that. I want you to be able to stand up to anyone who disrespects you. I want you to recognize the courage inside you that I see. Okay?"

I nodded, my throat clogged. I don't know why he said all those things. But it was just what I needed. I never feared Hunter. Even if he didn't believe me, I was never afraid of him, I was just skittish around him. Because of the strong, sudden emotions he provoked in me. 

I cleared my throat, "Did you eat?" I asked.

"Not yet."

"Do you want me to make you something?"

"No Kitten, Martha must've kept something in the fridge. I just have to heat it."

"How about I heat it? Meanwhile you finish up whatever work you have left then come to the kitchen." 

He nodded, "Thanks, Kitten." He kissed me one more time, short but deep then patted my backside as I walked out. 

I opened the fridge and peered inside, finding a dish of lasagna. I popped it in the oven and the took out some vegetables and dressing, and made a quick salad. By the time Hunter came, everything was ready. He pecked me on the lips as he came inside then sat on one of the chairs around the small dining table. I munched on a little bit of salad while Hunter had his dinner. He told me Cassidy was downstairs in one of her friend's room. After the meal was over  I went to my room to study while Hunter did some more work. He was signing up a new contract for a Residency construction with another company and was going over the postulates and correcting anything he didn't like. 

I was in bed and when I was just about to doze off I felt Hunter behind me as he wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me closer. I smiled sleepily. Tonight was the first time in a long time I had a peaceful, deep sleep.