Chapter 3

CHAPTER 3

It has been three days since I last saw Hunter. After he had gone to his business, he hadn't returned. I was worried sick. But everyone else seemed to be fine. I had asked Mom too but she only said that it was Alpha business, and when I asked her what if he got hurt, she laughed at me saying,

"Honey, he's Alpha Hunter. No one can put a scratch on him."

Apparently he was the most powerful Alpha because he was not only a Royal, but a White Royal. I didn't ask Mom what that meant. I'll ask him myself.

I was getting ready for work, although Hunter had not been present he had assigned me driver for my pick and drop. Jace, his Beta. He was an easy-going guy. With blonde hair and blue eyes, he looked like a surfer since he was tanned too. He greeted me and didn't talk any further which was fine with me since I wasn't much of a talker either.

After I was done, I went downstairs for breakfast. I had not gotten around asking Mom about the mate subject and she had also started becoming scarce. It was like she was purposely avoiding me. But I planned on catching her today. After I got off work that is.

I entered the kitchen and smiled at the elderly couple sitting on the table and greeted some of the pack members. I didn't talk to any of the people here but I did say my hellos.

Whenever I got off work I would just curl up on my bed with a book till dinner and then after eating I'd do the same till I fell asleep. I know my life was boring.

I made myself some coffee and took a muffin from the plate beside the oven and settled down.

"OMG! Why are you still here!" It was her again. Hunter's sister.

"I'm so sick of your Mom. That sl*t just keeps on coming here and now you're here too! Oh God! Stop eating you fat cow, you're so like fat I'm sure you put indents on grounds like when you walk."

I had never hated anybody. It was a strong feeling. But what I felt for her was close to that. I told myself to speak up. At least defend my Mom.

"Cassidy, behave yourself. That is not the way to talk to others." It was the old woman sitting in front of me that spoke up.

"Yes," her mate backed her up, "You are misbehaving a lot lately. Now apologise."

She evilly smirked at me.

"Apologize?" She stepped closer to me looking at me angrily, I averted my eyes.

"I don't think she needs an apology, you don't fat girl do you?"

I could feel the tears in my eyes threatening to fall. I just shook my head no.

"See, she knows I was just joking. Now stand up and make me breakfast." She ordered digging her nails into my arm. I winced but stood up and made her coffee and pancakes. As she sat down to eat I quickly dashed out of there leaving my own breakfast. I subtlety wiped my eyes as I walked outside and sat into the car as Jace got in the front and started driving.

"Good morning Ariana." Jace greeted me with a smile on his face.

"Good morning, how are you?" I asked shyly.

"I'm well thanks, what about you?"

"I'm good." I answered quietly.

After that we lapsed into silence as I tried to muster up enough courage to ask him.

"Jace," I started, "When will Alpha Hunter return?"

He looked at me through the mirror and smiled, "Don't worry, there's just a meeting of all the Royals and since Alpha is the head, he needs to be there through all of it. So it takes him a lot longer than most."