Chapter 20

CHAPTER 20

I stared at Hunter as he pummeled the punching bag with enough force and speed that I wouldn't be surprised if it burst open. I watched as his muscles rippled under the force, his white tank top almost see-through from all the sweat, his eyes focused on the bag swinging in front of him. We had come back from the club two hours ago, I had changed into my sleeping T-shirt, and was waiting for Hunter. But he hadn't come up for an hour so I had gotten out of bed to search for him and found him here, in the gym. I wasn't even aware that we had a gym. It was a spacious room, the walls a stark white, no mirrors which were the norm for most gyms, it was stocked with all kinds of exercise equipment, from a treadmill to elliptical, weight bench as well as a stereo which was blasting with rock music at the moment.

He hadn't spoken one word to me since the incident. I had tried talking to him but he just stared at me with a blank expression, completely mute. He must be a wreck inside, I knew I would be if I had just killed a person. I was still torn up. I didn't know what to feel, what to think. I had just witnessed a murder, even though it was self-defense. I needed to know what had happened, who was that wolf. I walked over to the stereo and hit pause, the room suddenly filling with silence, the only noise was the continuous thumping of Hunter's fists hitting the punching bag.

"Hunter?" I called out. No answer. He didn't even twitch. Completely centered on bashing the bag in front of him.

"Hunter?" Again nothing.

I walked up to him and touched his swinging arm, it stopped midway.

"Kitten. Not now." He rumbled, not moving his eyes from the bag.

"Hunter, are you okay?" I stroked his arm.

He jerked away from my touch as if burnt. "Ariana. Listen to me. Not. Now. Go to bed. We'll talk tomorrow." His voice still a low rumble.

"Hunter, I can't sleep right now. Not like this. Tell me what happened today. I really need to understand." I pleaded.

He swiveled towards me suddenly, I took a step back looking into his blazing eyes, "Right now is not a good time. Go upstairs. Get some rest. I'll answer whatever questions you have tomorrow."

I stayed where I was, then I took a tiny step towards him, "Hunter, just li-"

"Are you acting dumb or are you that fu*king stupid that you can't understand what I said." He growled, with each word his glare turning to smolder, "Got to bed. We'll. Talk. Tomorrow."

I took a step back feeling as if I'd just been slapped. "Are you mad at me?" I whispered

He continued to glare at me, not uttering a word.

I matched his glare with my own stare, I knew I should probably be afraid of him, but right now I was too frazzled to feel anything but the need for reassurance, I needed to feel safe and the person who made me feel that the most, was standing in front of me.

"Hunter, I have never experienced something like what we have today. Ever. Not even close to it. The craziest thing that I've ever done is move in here with you." I entreated, "I know almost nothing about your world and how things work here. I need you to tell me what happened today. You just killed someone. Won't the police know about it? Will they come looking for you? Who was that wolf and why did he attack us?"

His glowered at me, "You want to know what happened?" He took a step towards me. I nodded slowly, taking one back. He followed me, till my back hit the wall. I craned my neck to look up at him. He bent down till our eyes met, his face only inches from mine.