Chapter 10 "A Message For The Queen"

The civilians were being evacuated and my army had been dispersed. Dorian got his job done by the afternoon the next day. I'll begrudgingly admit that he does know how to use his time well.

But there was no time for me to relax. Tomorrow, I simply had to rely on my army and my servants. All I could do was listen and wait.

"Madam?" My eyes flickered over to Dorian before I answered.

"Yes?"

"You seem quite calm for someone that is going to war." His eyes examined my features as he spoke.

"Am I? I'm certainly nervous. The outcome of this war will determine everything." He raised an eyebrow at me.

"How so?" I sighed and turned to face him.

"If he wins, he can do whatever he pleases with my land and with my allies land. He can even kill me if he wants," His jaw clenched in response and I nearly smiled.

"If I win, the same rules applies. But I will most likely disperse the land between myself and my allies." I locked my hands behind my back and twirled in a circle.

"Also, this is my chance to clear up misunderstandings." He stared at me with admiration and I tilted my head.

"What?"

"Nothing, my lady. You are just too much for me." He shook his head, smiling.

"I'm overbearing?" I teased.

"Not in the least, just simply," His smile became wider. "Magical."

"Magical? How so?" I became curious about his analogy.

"The way you walk, talk, exist, can paralyze a man. Isn't that magical in itself?" A smirk curled its way to my lips.

"No, its a mystery to me. Do I paralyze you?"

"Yes. So much that I might have become obsessed with you." He murmured and leaned forward, his breath fanned my neck.

I backed away playfully and continued to smirk. "Well, you are wasting your time. I also think that you are starting to lose your mind. Becoming obsessed with something is not healthy. May I recommend you to the kingdom's doctor while he is still here?" I continued to tease him.

Before he could respond, Xavier stepped out from the shadows and cleared his throat. "Madam."

He glared at Dorian for a brief second and turned to me. "Sorry to interrupt but I have to speak with you. Privately."

I waved Dorian away and he nodded. "Yes? Did you finish packing?"

"Yes, my lady. I came to say goodbye for the time being. But," He glanced at the door Dorian exited at. "Are you sure I can't stay for a little longer? He isnt-"

I smiled and patted his shoulder. "Don't worry, I know. I'll keep him in check."

"That's what I'm worried about!!!" He exclaimed.

"You think I'm not capable of doing so?" My smile faded and a frown took its place.

"No, but his suave nature is what I'm worried about. While you two are alone, he might seduce you and you'll give into his advances." His voice gave off an air of concern.

No matter what he is concerned of if he really believed in me then he wouldn't say such things.

My mouth popped open in shock. "You think I'm weak willed? Who do you think I am? I have spent years avoiding the seduction of many 'suave' men and have not given in to any temptation. Does that sound weak willed to you?"

"My lady, I just-"

"Forget it. Just go. I'll see you after the war." I sighed and waved him off.

He stared at me before shaking his head. "Goodbye, my lady."

"Farewell." I said softly.

"Who was that? You two seem close." The door Dorian exited out of opened again and I rolled my eyes.

"None of your business," I snapped at him and his eyes widened in shock. "I'll be up in my working quarters."

"But, madam, what am I supposed to do?" I started my way up the staircase.

"Help yourself to a tour." I stated loudly, climbing the staircase.

He was quiet for a moment and then he promptly yelled. "You're not a very good hostess."

"There's no one here worthy to be a host for." I said right before I disappeared down a corridor.

It was quiet except for the occasional shuffle of feet and mumbles. I opened the door and walked towards my chair in a unhurried manner.

I noticed a figure in the corner and the hair on the back of my neck bristled. "Who are you?"

I cursed in my head as I realized my sword was under my desk and I wasn't close enough to reach for it.

"No need to worry, m'lady." His deep voice was smooth and had no sense of hurry.

"I am just a messenger from an old friend of yours." He said taking a step forwards.

I stepped around the desk and he chuckled. "Don't be so alarmed. I did not come to harm you if I did, you'd be dead already."

My eyes narrowed but I continued to keep my distance. "I'm not taking any chances. State your business and leave." How did he even get in here?

"You're a smart Queen, I like that." He moved again and I reached for my sword, unsheathing it. "And very dangerous."

"Relay your message to me and go. Or I will not hesitate to cut off your head." I said moving around the desk and towards him.

"My king wishes me to relay these words to you. I will appear when you least expect it. When that time comes, I hope we can dance once again."

I snorted at the word 'dance' knowing that it was just an illusion for what he really meant. "How romantic of him. Tell him that I appreciate that he continues to think of me and I'll definitely give him one unforgettable dance."

He bowed and smiled coyly. "Of course. I guess its farewell for now, my lady."

I watched as he walked straight through the door and disappeared down the hall. How daring of him.

I relaxed and loosened my grip on my sword. I should have expected this. After all, he really loved frightening me.