Chapter 20 "Love Is A Strength, Too"

"Isabelle," She jerked up and looked at me. "What is this rumor going around my castle that King Dorian is courting me?"

She swallowed and smiled nervously. "I don't know, my lady."

"You don't?" I asked narrowing my eyes.

"Okay, I may have let it slip that you and King Dorian were in a compromising position," I closed my eyes and let out a groan. "B-but I was just so happy for you, Your Highness, I swear!!! I want nothing but the best for you."

"Blabbing about things that are none of your business is not the best for me." I said sternly.

"I understand, my lady." She said with a sigh.

"Where is Xavier?" I asked after awhile.

"I think he's saying his goodbyes to Avery."

"Ah, that's right he has been tied to her hip as of late." I said in an matter-of-fact tone.

"Yeah, he looked a bit sad this morning." Isabelle noted.

I sighed and turned on my heel. "I'll go find him."

I exited the room and checked the foyer first. It was empty except for the servants walking around and chatting. They nodded and waved at me, making me return the action. I headed down the stairs to the kitchen and greeted the cooks.

"Have any of you seen Xavier?" I asked.

The head chef smiled and leaned against the counter. "I seen him with that girl. Congratulations, by the way, Your Highness."

"Ah, there seems to be a misunderstanding. I'm not with King Dorian." I said.

His smile faltered a bit before he nodded and turned back to his work. "Is that so? I thought that you had finally settled down."

I frowned at that but didn't say another word. I walked out of the kitchen and down the long corridor leading to sleeping quarters. I knocked on his door but there was no answer. I opened the door and peeked inside to only see no one there. The bed was made and the room looked clean.

I huffed in frustration and closed the door. I turned around to look around the castle more but came face to face with Dorian. "Boo."

I slowly closed my eyes and let out a slow breath. "What do you want, Dorian?"

"I'm just curious as to what you're up to." I opened my eyes and saw that he took a step back, putting some distance between us.

"I'm looking for Xavier. He was last seen with the woman that's by your side. Avery, I believe is her name."

"Ah, well, I know Avery so if he's with her. She should be," He snuck a glance at me before taking my hand. "Come on."

I stared at his hand holding mine and he released it. "Sorry. Come on."

I followed him and I subconsciously noted that his hands were warm like when I last felt them. I shook my head and focused at the task at hand. Dorian brought me to the sparring arena and he pressed a finger to his mouth as he peeked inside. I did the same and there they were.

Xavier was breathing hard as he held a sword in his hand. Avery looked amused and had not broken a sweat. "It's not that hard, Xavier."

"That's easy enough for you to say. You were trained by the best." Xavier retorted but looked like he regretted his decision.

"Sorry, I wasn't thinking." I raised an eyebrow at Dorian and he explained.

"Avery is an ex-assassin. She was taught by one of the best assassin's on the planet." I nodded and continued to watch.

"No, it's alright. It's the truth, after all. Now, get back in position." She ordered and he did with a reluctant sigh.

They pounced at each other, swords clashing and clanging. Xavier caught her and spun her around, making her drop her sword in surprise. He held her from behind and smiled. "I'm getting the hang of it. I think I'm okay with doing this until you leave."

She relaxed and turned around in his arms. "I've never been one for affection or...love but you," She trailed a finger down his jaw. "You make it seem alright."

I glanced at Dorian but he was still watching. It was strange but everything she said seemed to strike a cord with me.

"I'm glad." He whispered and she lays her head on his chest as he sways them back and forth.

The scene was too intimate for me to watch so I decided to make my presence known. However, before I could, Dorian pulled me back. "What are you doing?"

"This is a private moment between them."

"Then why would you ruin it?" He said softly.

"I can't-"

He slowly backed me up against the wall and pressed a tender kiss to my lips. I sighed through my nose as he pulled away. "Don't ruin it, Infinity. Let them be happy."

"Stop doing that!" I whisper angrily.

"Doing what?"

"Stop kissing me just because feel like it. I can't deal with it and you're being frustrating."

"Then give me an excuse to kiss you." He retorted and my mouth opened then closed.

"Will you come talk to me?" He tried again and I stared at the ground between us.

Why was I so weak to him? What happened to the strong Infinity? What happened to my power?

Nonetheless, I nodded and we walked up to my sleeping quarters. I walked out onto the balcony and he followed quietly.

"I don't know what you want from me, Dorian." I started.

He was silent for awhile longer before he spoke. "What I want is your heart."

I closed my eyes as my chest warmed and a smile threatened to grace my features. "Is that so?"

A soft sound escaped his throat and his fingers gently pushed a lock of my hair behind my ear. "Yeah, I think that we would be an unstoppable force together but that's not the only reason I want to merge our kingdoms."

I peeked at him and he looked incredibly handsome where he stood. The sun shone on his skin, making his skin look like honey. He inhaled and leaned forward, hovering slightly above my lips like he was silently asking for permission.

I didn't move forward and he didn't either. "What is the other reason?"

"I like you, Infinity." It was like the air got sucked out of my lungs and pulled him into a hug.

He wrapped his arms around me in a tight embrace as I tried not to cry.

"Why me?" I mumbled against his chest.

His chest vibrated as he laughed and he pulled away, tilting my head up. "Why not you? You're powerful, independent and beautiful. Kind yet unforgiving to those who has done inconsiderable wrong. Anyone would be lucky to have you, my Queen."

I swallowed my pride and finally gained the courage to say what was holding me back. "I'm...scared."

"Of what?" He asked softly.

"Loving," I said with a grimace. "I'm never liked or loved anyone romantically before and I'm scared that I'll mess up or not be the strong queen everyone knows me to be anymore. I'll let down my people if that happens and I can't-"

"Infinity, you shouldn't be worried. Yes, love is a weakness but it doesn't make you any less of the powerful person I see standing here right now. Love is a strength, too."

He placed a kiss on my forehead and I felt my eyes water in relief. "Right."

"Is that a yes, Your Highness?" He said with a playful smile.

I leaned forward and pulled him into a passionate kiss. He sighed through his nose as he pressed forward. I pulled away from him and nuzzled my nose in the crook of his neck. "That's a yes."