Prologue

Chasing the Moon by Alyssa Taylor

Prologue

I always knew that high school would be a challenge. I guess I just never thought it would be much more than relationships and high test scores. Turns out that at Beacon Hills High, finding the right date for prom is the least of your worries.

Freshman year was normal...at least as normal as it could be for someone like me. It wasn't until my sophomore year that everything changed. Because after the night that I decided to get myself involved my life would never be the same. 

And as I stand here now, before something more terrifying than any nightmare I've ever had, I can't quite decide if I regret confronting Scott McCall. 

Sure, I probably wouldn't have the friends I do now, but at least I would be safe. I would be just another student in the halls, another A plus on a report card, another unnoticed face. I wouldn't have anything to worry about, at least not knowingly. I would be able to actually sleep at night, instead of lying awake wondering what terrible thing will happen next. Life would be easy. But, then again, I would never have learned the truth about what happened that night nearly three years ago. The night that tore me apart yet put me back together all in the same.

I would not have any clue why I am the way I am. 

I slowly craned my head to the left. Scott was laying on the ground, clenching his side and out of breath. I exhaled deeply. I then turned the opposite direction to see Derek, forced onto his knees as his body fought to recover. And suddenly my face was turned back to the creature before me. It's beady red eyes digging deeper and deeper into my soul. I steadied my breathing. 

Razor sharp claws injected with poison of it's own nature scathed across my left cheek. It burned like a thousand white hot knives, or at least it should have.

"EMMA!" Someone was shouting. "EMMA!"

I turned to see the figure running my way. He stopped only a short distance from me when he realized just what we were dealing with. But it was the beast who was shocked when I fixed my neck back to face him.

I don't think he realized just what he was dealing with either.

-------------

Thanks so much for reading!

This is my new fanfic that I am writing purely for my own enjoyment, more of a challenge actually. I came up with this crazy idea in my head and I simply want to see if I can pull it off in writing.

I will still be updating my other stories as much as I can, no worries.

Although, I do have this nasty cast on my hand that makes typing rather inconvenient sooo...

Thanks again and don't forget to comment, vote, and fan!

xoxoxoxxooxxoxox

-Alyssa

Edited 12/21/13