Chapter 19 - Caught in the Middle

**Disclaimer** I do not own Teen Wolf, it's characters, or any of it's plot lines.

 Stiles and I ran out into the hallway, hand in hand. He was the one that bit me. He was the one who killed Mom and Zoe. The man we shared dinner with, the man I thought of as my own uncle. He was the one to tear my life apart. I just couldn't believe that someone we had trusted so much, would turn out like this. Why would he even want to hurt Mom or Zoe? Our family was nothing but nice to him. It doesn't make sense to me.

But I can't think about these things now, as they won't matter if he kills me too. At the moment, Stiles and I need to get the hell out of here and do it alive. He still has a lacrosse game to get to, after all.

"What are you doing here?" A red-headed nurse said, stopping us. "Visiting hours are over."

I recognized her as Peter's nurse. She was working with him? Helping him? It was all beginning to make me sick. I felt like I could pass out at any moment. I clung to Stiles' arm to keep steady and just to be close to him. 

Peter walked out behind us, trapping us between the two. Stiles too began piecing everything together, looking from the nurse to Peter. "You...and him...you were the one who...and you...oh my god we're gonna die."

I tightened my grip on Stiles' arm. I didn't want to believe it, but I knew he was right. There was no way out for us. Just because I can throw a decent punch doesn't mean I can take down this homicidal Alpha and his deranged nurse. 

Out of nowhere, Derek appeared, elbowing the nurse in the face and knocking her out cold. "Now that's not nice," said Peter, his voice chilling. "She's my nurse."

"She's a psychotic bitch helping you kill people. Get out of the way." Derek ordered to Stiles and me. 

"Ah, damn," said Stiles, terrified and exasperated.

I pulled him to the ground and huddled us into the wall. I may have a chance of surviving a fight like this, but Stiles doesn't have supernatural healing abilities. I'm not going to let anything happen to him. I could't live with myself if I did.

"You think I killed Laura on purpose?" Peter said, walking towards Derek. "My own family?"

I heard a growl from Derek and saw his eyes turn and ice cold shade of blue and fangs sprouting out of his teeth. He jumped off of a desk, using his momentum to attack Peter, but was thrown into the wall next to Stiles and me. Stiles wrapped his arms around me to shield me from harm, though I should really be the one covering him. 

Derek fell hard to the ground next to us, knocking down the railing as well. Stiles and I crawled away, not wanting to get caught in the mess. We hurried down the hall, me practically dragging Stiles. I felt bad for leaving Derek, but I know he can handle himself. Stiles is my main concern. 

"My mind, my personality, were literally...burned out of me." I could hear Peter's voice from down the hall. I could also hear Derek struggling. I fought the urge to run back and help him, do something.

"So you want forgiveness?" Derek said. I could tell he was being tossed around some more.

"I want understanding," said Peter. "Do you have any idea what it was like for me all those years? Slowly healing cell, by cell, even more slowly coming back to consciousness."

I ran back to an opening where I saw Derek lying on the ground, the floor stained with his blood. He was using every ounce of will he had in him to push himself back up, to keep fighting. 

"Yes, becoming The Alpha, taking that from Laura, pushed me over the plateau in the healing process. I can't help that."

Derek swung at his uncle again, but his punches were weak and sloppy. Peter was easily able to dodge every one of them. He then grabbed Derek's hand on his last throw, crunching his bones in his hands. Derek groaned in pain as he was forced back onto the ground.