Chapter 16 - Heels Up

**Disclaimer** I do not own Teen Wolf, any of its characters, or its plot lines.

A/N: Click the external link to see the outfit Lydia picked out for Emma.

I stared at my reflection in the mirror, trying to decipher whether or not it was really me I was looking at. Lydia had come over early this morning to curl my hair and fix my make up before leaving to try and mend what brittle relationship she had left with Jackson. I was reluctantly wearing the outfit she had somehow pulled out of my closet the night before. I'd forgotten I even owned this dress or these shoes. I just never wear them.

The blue strapless dress was tight on my bust, making it difficult to breathe. Lydia told me that it was all a part of being pretty. I held back telling her that if that's the case, I'm quitting. The black, patterned leggings Lydia and dug out from the very back of one of my drawers were uncomfortable and making my legs itch. 

I had only been wearing the golden strapped heels for ten minutes and my feet were already aching. I was dreading having to walk around in them all day. I don't know how Lydia can stand it. I just had to hope that Scott and Stiles didn't decide to go on any crazy adventures before I had time to change.

Lydia had wanted me to take off my cross necklace and exchange it for a more modern and fashionable one, but that's where I drew the line. I told her no necklace, no deal. She eventually agreed to let me pair it with a different necklace, and it actually didn't look too bad. Hell, I didn't look too bad. 

I had finally put away my skinny jeans and comfy sweaters for a dress and heals. I'm ninety-nine percent positive that I will regret that decision by the end of the day. Lydia had to constantly remind me the whole purpose of dressing like this: Stiles. Although, I feel that if Stiles truly does have feelings for me, it wouldn't matter to him whether I wear sweatpants and t-shirts every day.

I tried to tell all of this to Lydia, but it feels to foreign to be talking to her again. I used to be able to tell this girl anything and everything. Now, I'm afraid to say how much I hate wearing heels. I wish we could be the way we were three years ago, but things are just so different now. I'm different now.

I straightened the leather jacket that had been hiding in the crevices of my closet. I couldn't help but feel slightly like Derek all clad in leather. I felt like I was stealing his style. The thick and busy charm bracelet on my wrist jingled as I tugged on my sleeves. It was already beginning to annoy me.

I took a deep breath and left my room. My heels clicked loudly against our wood floor. I was glad that Eric was still asleep. He would never permit me to leave the house dressed like this. I'm barely allowing myself to.

I thought I would be able to sneak out of the house question-free, but was stopped by the most aggravating voice I've ever known. Melanie was sitting it my kitchen table, sipping on a coffee with her blonde hair tied on the top of her head.

"You look nice today," she said.

I stopped to grab an apple out of the refrigerator before walking out of the house. "Thanks," 

She curled her lips and put down the Comso she had been reading. "Why do you look so nice today?"

I slammed the refrigerator door shut, causing some of Dad's wine bottles to clank together. "Why do you care?"

"I'm not as bad as you think, you know." Her words caused my feet to stop moving. I turned around and strode back to where she was sitting.

"You come waltzing in here with your money and your importance thinking that you can just take my father away from me? He's all I have left. He's my father, but you will never be my mother." I spat.